Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Steel at 100 yards

RangerTrace

I got to do a little live fire practice yesterday with my Tactical and finished up with some "group shooting"! We put a "C" zone steel target at 100 yards so my friend could practice with his .454 Casul. I think he was a little shocked when I was able to hit the target about 50% of the time with my 40 :cheers: BTW, I was shooting factory Speer Lawman 165 grain bullets and I did not have to aim over the target to hit it.

I got to do a little live fire practice yesterday with my Tactical and finished up with some "group shooting"! We put a "C" zone steel target at 100 yards so my friend could practice with his .454 Casul. I think he was a little shocked when I was able to hit the target about 50% of the time with my 40 :cheers: BTW, I was shooting factory Speer Lawman 165 grain bullets and I did not have to aim over the target to hit it.

Cool. Looks like those do 1150fps. A 20y zero would have those hitting about 9.25 inches low at 100y. (per Sierra)

We had 3 large poppers at at 50 yds as an option at the WAC Factory Gun Challenge. I optioned to run up and shoot them at about 15yds in the match.

AFTER I shot the stage, I took a crack at them on the clock. Took all three (4 shots) in about 5.6 sec from the holster. I took my time, could have gone faster, but I'm happy to pop them (and DROP them) with my M&P PRO (147 gr) at 50 yards.

Looking forward to some 50 yard-ers in the future!

WHAT'S THE LONGEST STEEL YOU'VE SEEN IN A MATCH?

Jeff

Edited by JeffWard

Cool. Looks like those do 1150fps. A 20y zero would have those hitting about 9.25 inches low at 100y. (per Sierra)

That would be about right. I aimed at the head (the target has the head portion of an IPSC target along with the A and C zone of the lower portion) and the rounds were hitting about half way down the target. I don't know if it was good training, but it was a lot of fun :goof:

I like making long handgun shots! We were checking zero on my friends rifle and I pulled my 9mm Eagle and took a shot at 100. The hit was low, but on an IDPA target. We moved to 200 and I mashed the trigger, so I had to take a second shot, but it was there. The match the next day had some 35 yard shots that were a piece of cake.

Bill

Longest shots in a match?

Paper 65 yards . . .nice going Ray . . even Taran was calling you names after that match!

and the above mentioned Clay at 50 yards in the rain . . and unlike Big Mike G . . .i missed and hit the stick . . .it did not count

but one range I worked at had a "B-C" at 125 yards and i did hit that with a j-frame smith 3 out of 5 times.