Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Gun - First Match

doc540

Shot a local Police Dept/Public match today. My first competition.

I shot well and was very encouraged. (props to those here who have offered advice and encouragement)

The 9mm Combat Commander performed well in spite of one, mysterious failure to load or cycle or whatever the correct technical term was for it. (An unfired round locked the slide halfway back with another round sticking straight up.)

Every miscue I made today was the result of a small (if there are any of those) mental lapse.

It wasn't the sun, the wind, the rangemaster, the target, the ammo, my technique or the gun, just a momentary loss of mental focus.

Final setup of the day was a side-by-side, three metal plate, elimination competition.

I got paired early with a really experienced shooter who ended up winning the 2nd place trophy.

I guess my biggest win of that round was not even being aware that someone else was shooting beside me. And he just barely edged me out time-wise.

Finally, all of you have been right: "Shoot a match, and it will become clear where I'm really 'at' compared to my range practice."

And, finally, finally, from the time I parked in the lot, to the last shot....I tried to be present and focus on my front sight.

Isn't that what I was supposed to do?

(shoot my first IDPA match next Saturday but it's a "classification(?)" Not sure what that is but I'm going anyway.

The 9mm Combat Commander performed well in spite of one, mysterious failure to load or cycle or whatever the correct technical term was for it. (An unfired round locked the slide halfway back with another round sticking straight up.)

Depending on whether or not the "round" sticking up out of the ejection port was an empty casing or also an unfired cartridge, we would call that either a smokestack (aka a "failure to fully eject") or a double feed (IOW the gun tried to feed two live rounds out of the mag at the same time), respectively.

You might consider investing in some better magazines. The factory Colt 9mm mags are not the greatest. Something along the lines of the 9-round Metalform 9mms, or the 10-round Wilson or Tripp mags, might be indicated. I'm partial to the Metalform 9-rounders, myself.

(shoot my first IDPA match next Saturday but it's a "classification(?)" Not sure what that is but I'm going anyway.

It means that during that match they will run you though the IDPA classifier. This is a 90-round course of fire, separated into three 30-round stages, that tests things like the draw from the holster, failure drills (two to the body, one to the head), multiple head shots, fast transitions, reloading from slidelock, a couple of demi-El Presidentes, shooting while moving both toward and away from the target, one hand only work both left and right hand only, shooting around a barricade, shooting from low cover, and some moderate distance work (15 and 20 yards).

You're very fortunate to be running the classifier at your first-ever IDPA match. Not only will this give you "rank" right off the bat (either Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert or Master in ascending order of skill level) but when the classifier is over you'll have an excellent indication of where you need to improve.

On the magazine front I'll add: Number your mags and identify the mag that was in the gun whenever you encounter a malfunction. If a particular mag is giving you fits, replace or repair it....

On the IDPA Classifier front --- you can probably find a description on the IDPA website. I don't know if it's still in the rulebook, but it might be. The classifier is typically not shot from concealment. There might be videos on Burkett's site or on youtube of people shooting the classifier. Having an idea of what it is will help. The SO will tell you on every string what you need to do....

Bring as many reliable magazines as you own...

It wasn't the sun, the wind, the rangemaster, the target, the ammo, my technique or the gun, just a momentary loss of mental focus.

Cool! Glad you had fun. The first match is probably the hardest.

With that said, we really have to work on your excuse generating skills :roflol:

Here's one I like: "I misplaced my normal shooting glasses and these are giving me some sort of weird glare on the front sight/dot" :D

re: mags

Since I only opened the shipping box yesterday afternoon and the Commander came with one mag (factory original), my FFL dealer and mentor loaned me three more mag's for the match this morning.

One was a designated 9mm mag, and the other two were 38 Super mags. I was running one of the "no-name" .38 Super mags when the failure to fire, smokestack, occurred.

My plan is to order three, Tripp Research, 10 round mags Monday. Hopefully, they'll arrive by next Saturday.

re: excuses

I hear ya. I was all focused and ready to see my front sight when the boss asked "where's your paperwork"?

I realized I had stuck it under the side of my cap as a sunshield! I pulled it out, handed to him, and was distracted, thinking of the bright sunlight, when he said, "FIRE". Embarrassed myself with two wide shots at a doable distance.

duh

Oh, here it is:

DSCN0480-1.jpg

DSCN0484-1.jpg

Edited by doc540

My first (and second) match I started out slow, doing horrible on the first couple of stages. Then I started slowing down and focusing a bit more on getting my hits. Around the 3rd stage on both matches was when I started improving. I just need to remember going into it so I can get out of the habit of having 2 bad stages before I remember to relax and slow down.