Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio vs. STI

shooterbenedetto

OK list what the p9 had problems then... compared

to 1911. What would convince you to switch over?

I know Max Michel is shooting sig now and has the same functionality

trigger as the Tanfoglio. I think trigger is one big reason.

Post them here.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

I owned 3 P9's.........and own about as many STI's now.......so I have a bit of an opinion :)

I literally had BOXES of spare parts for my P9's and many times had to do repairs on the gun DURING the match.....

1.Broken slide stops; even with the hardened Huening parts.

2. unexplainable ejection problems

3. cracked rail

4. trigger jobs that just never would last due to slop in the sear housing.

5 Way more frame wear than a 1911.

6. extractor tension problems all the time.

7. back then there just werent' any parts for these guns also......

8. frame was so hard that they recomended 2 taps per hole when drilling.........That's why you saw "limited" Tangfoglios with drilled and tapped holes in case you changed your mind on a scope.

All in all they were a pain to keep going.............That being said I think the newer large frame Tanfoglios now must be a lot better.....You don't hear a lot about people fighting them like you used to.

Would I change to a newer large frame Tanfoglio with the lates improvements over a 2011?.......No.......JMO

Edited by ipscjoe

Thanks for the reply..power factor also plays a big role.

the reason why broken slide stop ins because guns were shooting 180pf!!!

vs today's 168pf. Still enthusiast still have the erge of buying one just because

they are really good looking guns and really reasonable $$

I know TRIGGER NEEDS IMPROVEMENT coming soon from Henning.

and I know we are all good in MAGAZINE as GRAMS internals now makes the mags reliable.

Now I love variety and nothing wrong with shooting a gun just because, or using what you do because you think it's cool, most of my guns fall into that category, I just came out of the woods with an reproduction Hawkins rifle I use deer hunting all season long.

But you should do some real math and make sure you are not deluding yourself with perceived advantages that arnt there.

Cost ? I dont think it is cost effective to pay a little less for a gun that wont last as long, plummet in resale value, probably need custom work, custom parts, and custom mags just to get it to go bang most of the time,

A $2700 new STI will run out of the box or STI will make it right, Good luck with support out of EAA,

Unless you are really trying to push the envelope on capacity it isnt hard to get sti tubes to run 100%, not sure if the same can be said of EAA,

you will also be running against the grain and an up hill battle with a lot of other issues like holsters, mag parts, spare parts, etc, There is a reason the 2011 is the dominate platform in both Open and Limited.

Hey I am not saying dont shoot one or build one, I have guns I shoot just cause I wanna be different. thats part of the fun , but I dont think there is a better or cheaper in the long run open gun than a factory built STI

Edited by Joe4d

• 2 weeks later...

I started shooting open with a Tanfov Gold Team V8 that had made the rounds. It was a tank, accurate and reliable. My only complaint was the poppel holes when they get a little dirty you start getting crap in your face. The gun for me seemed bunched up too small for me. Shot like a dream with 7.3gr IMR7625 behind a 125 Zero JHP.

I switched to STI mainly because my limited gun was sti and my single stack a caspian and I wanted the same feel and trigger on all of them. Another plus is if I need a part or work done its easy to find a smith or a part for an STI.

I won't say STI's run out of the box because I have seen a lot of slide racking going on. I bought mine well used and they both run 100% with no issues.

I certainly think the Gold Team will cycle faster than most STI open guns as the slide is very lite a standard weight barrel not a bull so you get best of the light weight stuff and a good heavy frame.

I always learn from my Tanfoglio vs my STI open.

My Tans is snappy and dot comes back lightening fast than my sti.

I find that I can shoot the SWINGERS faster and shoot targets as close as 10m

and I know that my shot will be there.

Different world on my STI..when I shoot it, its too sluggish and have to

adjust my timing to the gun. I still can't shoot the swingers as fast as I can

with the Tans.

SB

• 2 weeks later...