Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I going in the right direction? ( VV N320 & 38 Spcl)

recardoa

I am working up a load for service stock revolver using VV N320. I chrono'd a 158g RNFP so far at 4.6g screaming by the sensors at 747.3

Average FPS. That is only a Power Factor of 118.07. Manual says only go up to 4.8g. Any reccommendations on going up that high with

Smith 4 inch 686 revo? I gotz no problems with going there, but was interested in what the field had to say. Already bought 1,000 158g.

recardoa

I am working up a load for service stock revolver using VV N320. I chrono'd a 158g RNFP so far at 4.6g screaming by the sensors at 747.3

Average FPS. That is only a Power Factor of 118.07. Manual says only go up to 4.8g. Any reccommendations on going up that high with

Smith 4 inch 686 revo? I gotz no problems with going there, but was interested in what the field had to say. Already bought 1,000 158g.

recardoa

A smith 686 is a very strong gun, you should have no problems.

How far away is your crono set up ? 10' or more ?

You only need about 60/65 fps more for minor.

Oh yea, you are headed in the right direction.

I use 4.8b gr VV N320 and 158 gr plated RN bullets (0.693" long) seated to 1.500" coal for SSR and get 840 fps +/-10 out of all my 4" revolvers. That load makes IDPA SSR PF in most of my 3" revolvers as well.

If you practice enough with that load to wear out your 686, you will be a force to be reckoned with.

Craig

Edited by Bones

recardoa

If you can, shorten your overall length. I had the same issue trying to make PF for ICORE, although I'm shooting a 5 inch gun (627). I got up to 4.5 grains, then decided to go shorter. Was loading Berry's 158 flat point. It's amazing the variance you will see, depending if the powder is towards the primer or towards the bullet. I was getting almost 80 fps difference.

Seiichi