Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My C More Doesn't Like Cold Weather

Finally got tired of dry firing because of the cold weather and snow so I took the C More equiped 22/45 out for some practice. Turned the click switch up to 4 and NOTHING so I turned the knob all the way up and got a dot not much brighter than a 4 position. Turned it offf and back on and at 8 clicks it was like an inside 4 click and didn't really get any brighter turned up all the way. At first I thought it might be the battery but after being back in the house for awhile it is back to having the intensity I want at 4 clicks. Today, if I can find the extra batteries I bought, I am going back out again and work on some transition drills because I repainted my steel A zones and I am going to work on them from 20 yards today. Watched 3GM2 for the 3rd time and I want to try Max's transition and movement drills and Angus' cross step, got some 12" plates for the movement.

From the side (no holster yet) it is becoming a lot easier to have the dot appear on target but I still overswing on transitions at my short range in the living room. It was easier at the range yesterday because I could see the dot coming into the A zone though I was still overshooting quite often.

Going to warm the truck and put the guns up front by the heater.

someone once told me to extend the life of your batteries to put them in the refridge, thats where a bulk pack of AA's from costco is sittin right now, and everytime i get a new pair forthe tv remote i have to warm em up to get em to work, maybe that is what you are experiencing???

for transitions, look to the spot you want to shoot, and THEN bring the gun, dont get tunnel vision and think you have to 'see' the dot the whole time thu the transition, your eyes are the fastest reacting organ in your body, look to the spot and then your hands will follow, once there pick up the dot, and shoot, the overswing is also caused by not actually stopping on your intended spot, but rather sweeping thru the targets especially in banks of 4 targets/8shots you will notice or maybe you already have is that, on your last shot, you will have center hits, because it is the last target of the array, andthe others you just 'swung thru' pulling the trigger as you saw brown, instead of stopping on each individual spot and shooting each shot BEFORE moving onto the next target

Finally got tired of dry firing because of the cold weather and snow so I took the C More equiped 22/45 out for some practice. Turned the click switch up to 4 and NOTHING so I turned the knob all the way up and got a dot not much brighter than a 4 position. Turned it offf and back on and at 8 clicks it was like an inside 4 click and didn't really get any brighter turned up all the way. At first I thought it might be the battery but after being back in the house for awhile it is back to having the intensity I want at 4 clicks. Today, if I can find the extra batteries I bought, I am going back out again and work on some transition drills because I repainted my steel A zones and I am going to work on them from 20 yards today. Watched 3GM2 for the 3rd time and I want to try Max's transition and movement drills and Angus' cross step, got some 12" plates for the movement.

From the side (no holster yet) it is becoming a lot easier to have the dot appear on target but I still overswing on transitions at my short range in the living room. It was easier at the range yesterday because I could see the dot coming into the A zone though I was still overshooting quite often.

Going to warm the truck and put the guns up front by the heater.

Just as an FYI I have a ready tactical DOH kydex holster for a STI that fits my ruger 22/45 with a cmore like a glove.

Edited by BrianATL

Outside is brighter (even though it may not look like it to your eyes, which tend to adjust to the brightness). The same setting that works inside is likely to be too dim outside, even on a dark, overcast day - that's even with a new battery.

Now, if the dot is still way too dim outside with it turned all the way up, that's a pretty good sign you need a new battery - even if it still appears bright enough inside.

It's definitely true that Lithium Ion batteries don't perform super well in the cold - if the battery is at all old, it's going to show that kind of drop off, too. Brand new, you should still get enough out of it outdoors, but even with only a little age on them, they can drop off voltage easily when cold... :)

In summary, try a new (high quality) battery, and see if that doesn't fix it :)

Couldn't find the new batteries after looking in the usual dozen spots so I put the gun in the front seat on the trip to the range. When first taking the gun out 6 clicks were enough in the little bit of sunlight we had but before I could get through the first 100 shots I had to go up a couple more clicks. Temp was about 33 (bank clock), winds were about 20MPH and sun was in and out of clouds.

Shooting seems to be getting better at slow speed because I was pretty close to 100% on 2 A zones 5 yards apart at about 20 yards. Had to get out into the sun as the wind was howling under the roof. This was an attempt to roll the eyes until the trailing eye was looking through the C More then bring the gun with the head turn. It started getting cold after a couple 100 so I switched to SH and it required a lot more knee bend and shoulder punch to get the dot where I wanted it. It was a whole lot harder going left to right than right to left, after 100 rounds switched to WH. It took forever locating the dot and after each shot it was find it again because it would disappear going right. This is a 22 with a TS comp so what am I going to get with the 24C next spring?

Got home and found the new batteries nowhere near where they should have been but are in the G24 bag. I would really hate to be at a match and need to change batteries, I tried 3 different tools before I cut off a small allen wrench to stick in the hole beside the battery.

BrianATL thanks for the idea, I've got a Safariland I used with the 22/45 original barrel so I'll give it a try.

Your battery should be fine in any temperature you'll see there. Check a duracell white sheet and you can see the operating range. I shoot mine in 15-30 below zero with no issues on the battery on a routine basis.

I don't think any of my fellow shooters experience an problems with that around here. Our biggest battle is to keep the gun operating versus freezing up.