Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for 200 Gr. FP?

jailer252

Have some old west coast 200FP laying around and plan on running them through my glock. What would be a good starting OAL to Try? I am going to push these with 4.0 of clays... Thanks

I'm loading Precision 200 grain RNFP around 1.238... but I am having trouble making major with slow powder (WSF). I am prepping to do a round of testing to include shorter OAL, probably around 1.2

I just loaded 500 rds of 200 Gr RNFP lead bullets that I cast from a Magma mold.

My OAL is 1.22 for use in my 625/moom clips and my 1911. For some reason any longer length and I have problems with them in the 625

I am also using 4 grs of Clays. I will run them through a Chrony later this week.

Edited by Beans

I load a 200 gr Flat point for Less that PFactor loads in my 625's 4.0 of Clays same charge as when loading 230's Will also use them at times in two 1911's, when out of 200 gr SWC's mostly. OAL between 2 x 625's and 2 x Colt 1911's is different. The 625's like shorter and strong crimp. Autos no crimp at all and one will accept longer cartridges than the other both longer than the Revolvers. I find you have to alter ever so slightly gun to gun.

Boats

It took me a while to get them right but the Precision 200gr OAL in my KartMatch barrel 45 had to size them with an oal of 1.220. If they are longer then the gun would on occasion not go into battery. If you look at the moly coat you can see where it was contacted.

I am using 4.2 gr of Clays and this produces a 168pf. I don't have my load book in front of me nor the chrono results but after trying several different powders over the chrono it became my load.

With WST you will need 4.7-4.8 gr with this 200gr bullet with a 5" gun. I tried N320 but by the time I got to major I felt like it had more recoil than the WST and the Clays seemed to shoot the softest of the 3. I dropped the recoil spring down to 12# and the gun cycles like my limited 40.

With the Precision moly you need to bell the case well so you don't cut the moly and it needs a good crimp .002. Clays seems to leave less fowling than WST but a chore boy and a little JB bore paste and your barrel is back to a mirror. I have not found any chemical that gets it out and ruined one barrel trying so I'm on the chore boy side of the fence now.