Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Damascus /Ti combo not good?

fastarget

We had picked up three years ago a caspian damascus slide with a Ti frame, grip safety, MSH and damascus trigger. Now we would like to build the gun but a couple of gunsmith have said they don't like working or using Ti because it has problems. One said he would throw the Ti parts away and get a new steel frame, the other said it is ok, but must install an accurail...........

The frame has had EGW checker the front strap. So what is going on with the Ti, and why the issues. We would like to build this beauty.....

Any ideas?,

Thanks

My first idea is that I want you to post pictures. I love those damascus slides. My machinist friend says he has to be in the "Mood" to work with titanium. He says it can be difficult to work with and he has to go real slow. I would talk to some of the big name smiths on this forum and see what their take on it is.

I'm in the process of finishing a similar project gun, most have the rails carbonized Caspian will do this for you. If your planning on putting a high round count on this gun I would suggest a steel frame or have it accu-railed. The rails need to have a quality lube Caspian has a type they recommend. Working with Ti frame and parts isn't something that I would want to do every day, depending on what is requested the pricing can be higher than what I normally charge.

Rich

I sent Shuey an email regarding info, thanks for the info. I am going to seek more info before making a decision regarding frame change/options etc.

What is the real problem with the Ti and steel slide????? many makers build Aluminum frames, I though aluminum is softer than ti...????

Edited by fastarget

We? You have someone helping you buy and pay for stuff? :roflol:

Edit to add: I love the look of damascus slides, but talking with a few smiths they swear they're sweating bullets when they start cutting on them!

Edited by G-ManBart

We? You have someone helping you buy and pay for stuff? :roflol:

Edit to add: I love the look of damascus slides, but talking with a few smiths they swear they're sweating bullets when they start cutting on them!

We, yup :rolleyes: I have a lovely wife who is a shooter and collector.... :cheers:

The damascus slide is tough, not much to cut on it, the sight cuts are in, it was partially fitted to the frame, very little to do to the slide,,,,,,frame however still needs the grip safety fitted, the front is checkered, would be nice to get the MSH checkered as well.........Told her, I will finish putting it together, but she said she prefers a pro..... :unsure:<_<:angry2: ..........smart girl too.

Keeping a tight fit between a steel slide and a Ti frame can be tricky if you want to keep a tight slide to frame fit. The folks in at SVI in TX have an interesting approach to the problem: http://www.sviguns.com/4010.php. Addressing the issue of a Ti slide on a steel frame, or Ti frame with these inserts, presents even more challenges.

I've got Accurails on a couple of Bullseye guns - very nice, gotta keep'em lubed.

Since Ti apparently presents some unique problems, call the shop and see what their comments are about any anticipated difficulties in running a Damascus slide with a railed frame.

/Bryan