Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow Safety detents Very Light

1SOW

My son shot his brand new Shadow last weekend and had a problem with the ambi safety.

On the draw his strong hand trigger finger engaged the right safety! We shoot "Production" but luckily this was during some practice beforehand.

I tried it with no problems, but have smaller hands than he does. I could feel my trigger finger moving along the big safety on my draw. The safety detents were very 'soft'. There was no crisp click as the safety was engaged or disengaged. It was noticeably softer than my 75B.

Can the detent pressure be tightened up a little? Can the safety be swapped/changed to left side only (like the 75B) without modifying the gun?

Any info/advice is appreciated.

Edited by 1SOW

I had the same problem with a new to me Shadow that I recently traded for. Oddly enough, I wasn't having trouble with my original Shadow.

I've been thinking of experimenting with taking the smaller safety levers from my other SP-01s and placing them on the Shadow to see if I can get rid of this problem.

I don't see how you could remove the right side safety lever easily without creating some kind of dummy lever to mate with the left side safety lever. Also that would put the gun into Limited or Limited 10 minor with those kind of modifications. I believe the frames on the single sided 75Bs have a smaller hole in the frame on the right side.

Safety levers generally have a pin or ball that is spring loaded into a detent dimple or notch somewhere in the scheme. If your felt detent is soft, then either the detent is not applying enough force and/or travel or the detent notch is too shallow. Lots of ways it could be happening. Easy ones are bound detent pin and/or spring, and no detent dimple. Clean and check that the detent moves freely and travels far enough to engage the dimple or notch, then check that you have a dimple or notch. If debris was interfering with the works, you might have found it. If that is not it, then I would get serious with CZ about them fixing it or get it to a gunsmith known to be knowledgeable on CZ's.

Billski

Edited by wsimpso1

I have to shave the off-side safety WAAAYYY down on my STI's or I'll knock them up with my strong hand. Same problem with my Shadow, so I replaced the safety's with standard SP01 safeties - problem solved.

Actually, (thread drift alert!) Angus is out of the right side SP-01 safety and I need one - anyone know another source where I can buy one (or trade my Shadow safety for one)?

Edited by Morgan

ChuckS: Your right of course.

It was during some steel practice that he had the problem and it was the first time the gun had been fired.. When he was showing it to me, it was cleared and we

were in the safe zone and I didn't think about the hammer being down in USPSA. In AASA cocked and locked is fine. Raising the trigger finger to the safe position while

on-the-move might be enought to trip the safety.

I just rechecked my 75B and the safety detents are crisp and accompanied by an audible 'snap' when the lever is changed. I've had it off but can't remember

what causes the tension to hold the safety lever tight against the frame. I don't think it's a spring, but I'm not sure. I have no idea on the Shadow ambi.

If there is a small 'ball' on the underside of the safety lever(s), making it slightly bigger/protrude more might tighten it up some.

Edited by 1SOW