Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket Mags In Production

Vlad

I've asked this of my local guys and they were not quite sure. Can you use aftermarket magazines in production? And I dont mean modified, weighted, funny basepads or whatnot. I mean plain jane mags, that looks and feel just like the factory ones. And when the factory and the aftermarket folks do not mark their mags in anyway, can anyone tell the difference?

Vlad

At least IPSC:

Production Division j) "All magazines must conform to the manufacturers original equipment specifications..... High capacity ... not allowed... After market magazines may be substituted as long as they are the same overall length as the manufacturers original"

That seems reasonable enough where US divisions would use the same... right Vince?

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply - I was RM at the Hong Kong Nationals this weekend, so I didn't have much time to contribute much here for the past four days. Anyway, Berkim has it correct under the current IPSC rules, but the January 2004 IPSC rules in Appendix D4 Production Division are even clearer:

20. Aftermarket parts, components and accessories are prohibited, except as follows:

20.1 Aftermarket magazines which match the external dimensions of standard magazines offered by the OFM for the approved handgun are permitted.

I cannot comment on USPSA rules other than to say that while my USPSA colleagues on the current IPSC rules committee gave input on changes to the IPSC Divisions, the same committee did not deal with any USPSA divisional issues, so any changes to the USPSA divisions will be 100% a USPSA decision.

Berkim,

The current (14th Edition 2001) USPSA rulebook quotes the (then current, but now former) IPSC rules and then adds other rules immediately after them as the "USPSA variation", which the USPSA is entitled to do after seeking and obtaining the requisite exemption from IPSC, in accordance with the relevant provisions of the IPSC Constitution.

Having said that, I cannot predict the future, so I really can't say what will happen next year (or thereafter) in respect of anything I've said above.

All we can do right now is adopt a "wait 'n' see" attitude.

Well, I figured Marques should know :P. But the night I polled the folks about it, no one knew for sure, with the prevailing theory being that aftermarket mags would not be ok. So I figured I would get a second opinion.

Vlad