Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me spend some money--Matches or training?

RAZZ

I am a nobody, middle of the road Master. I have won Master Limited a few times at Area matches, and I have finished as high as 27th at the Nationals. But I think I have reached a plateau of sorts. I don't seem to be getting any better, and I'm looking for something to help me improve. I have not been able to shoot many matches over the last few years due to finances, but I am on (fiscal) schedule to be able to shoot a bunch of good matches next season.

Here is my dilema. I have considered taking a class--a one on one full day or two class with Max, Dave, Manny etc. Cost would be at least $2,000 (likely more) taking everything into account. This would put a pretty big dent in my abilitites to shoot some matches this year. I want to get better, and I realize that 'going to the mountain' is one of the ways to get better, but I also look forward to shooting matches (my only vacation) and I do learn at matches. So...Help me decide where to drop a ton of money.

ETA: I have already taken a USPSA class with a GM, and although I enjoyed it, I didn't get much out of it due to the large class size. Thus my desire for a one-on-one class.

Edited by RAZZ

RAZZ> What is the use of taking a high end one on one class if you can't put what you learned to use in matches? Where are you in your shooting now. Do you see things that you are not doing right and can still work on perfecting? Or do you truely believe that you have gotten as good as you are going to get without additional guidance? Fighting to save the next tenth of a second while shooting should never stop if you truely want to get better.

I recently took a small group class from Manny Bragg. What I learned there was well worth the money spent on the class. But it would be useless if I didn't also shoot matches after the training to put what I learned to used so I could expand upon what I learned.

Also, if shooting matches is your "Escape" or "Vacation" then why would you choose to trade it for a one time class? Even if you made GM after the class, if you didn't have the funds to shoot regularly after the training what is the point of being a GM?

I say go with option C. Choose to shoot the matches and dig deep into your own shooting to find limitations that need fixed. Then keep an eye out for a decently priced training class from one of the well known GM's that isn't flooded with 984927423478 students in the class.

Another option may be "mail order" training. XRe, Jake Di Vita and others on this forum provide this service on their respective websites. This type of training is a little detached as they can't be at the range with you during practice to slap you in the back of the head when you do something wrong. But they do have a very good eye for spotting weaknesses in peoples skills when watching video's of people shoot. This and their remote training service is usually cheaper than a one time one on one training class from a top GM.

I just pulled up your A5 (07) and last 2 Lim Nats.

Looks like you shoot clean. Are you a bit behind on your stage times?

Awww great.. I was hoping for anonymity :ph34r:

I have been working hard on accuracy over the last year, and have seen some improvement in that area. Steel is my nemesis--I fear it (and its not for lack of accuracy, its due to lack of visual patience). At the Nats this year, I think I really suffered from how few matches I shot over the previous season, as I wasn't sharp or focused at all--I shot the whole match in a daze and made a bunch of very amateurish mistakes. I went home from Vegas embarrassed. This experience makes me feel that more matches is what I need to focus on--I shot a lot of matches in 2008 (and only 1 in 2009), and had a really solid year--like I was finaly figuring out what I needed to do. The 2008 Lim Nats was probably the best match I have ever shot--something like 5 Ds, no misses, no-shoots or penalties. The culmination of a busy and solid shooting season.

But on the flip side, Sometimes I think I know what I am doing wrong, but I worry that if I am wrong (about what I think I'm doing wrong), that my practice will be a waste.

My stage times are OK. When I have slow stage times, it can usually be attributed to one or more pieces of steel that I threw a bunch of rounds at. I shot a lot of steel this year in practice, but it didn't help--accuracy wasn't the problem, just patience.

Edited by RAZZ

Drive the gun to the center of the steel >> see the front sight lift >> ?

If it were only that easy...Oh wait, it is :)

On a side note: We have a local match here in town, but I never shoot it. I work every Frday night until 0430 Saturday morning, and then have to work again Saturday night, so shooting a local match is very low on my priority list. The only time I have a Friday / Saturday off is when I actually take leave from work and go shoot a big match.

I watch Todd Jarrett in the shoot-offs at Nationals one year (top-16 in the shoot-offs). Todd center-punched all the steel. Looked like he was loafing...but, he kicked just about everybody's ass doing that.

Steve Anderson, when looking to improve on steel, DECIDED to shoot steel like it was Virginia count.

I love steel. (jeez...who can't shoot an 8 inch group???)