Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK USP Combat Competition - delete jetfunnel, Prod legal?

pangris

Greetings, all. It has been a while since I shot USPSA but I'm getting back on the horse.

I sold my Glock 34 rig a while back and was considering which direction to go - Glock, Para LDA, etc... then I shot a HK USP Combat Competition 9mm and I fell in love.

I am aware I can not have a magwell - not a big deal, the jet funnel is easy to remove.

Is the rest of the gun legal? The factory competition LEM trigger is my specific concern.

It doesn't appear it is a very popular gun in production - any reason other than cost of the gun/mags vs the other poly pistols?

Edited by pangris

Greetings, all. It has been a while since I shot USPSA but I'm getting back on the horse.

I sold my Glock 34 rig a while back and was considering which direction to go - Glock, Para LDA, etc... then I shot a HK USP Combat Competition 9mm and I fell in love.

I am aware I can not have a magwell - not a big deal, the jet funnel is easy to remove.

Is the rest of the gun legal? The factory competition LEM trigger is my specific concern.

It doesn't appear it is a very popular gun in production - any reason other than cost of the gun/mags vs the other poly pistols?

Here is the approved list for Production for HK models. If the model is not named on this list, it's not currently legal.

"HK45 45ACP (31.96 oz.), HK45 Compact 45ACP (28.16 oz.), P 30L 9mm (27.52 oz.), P2000 (22 oz.), P30 9mm (25.52 oz.), P7 (28 oz.), P8 (25.27 oz.), USP 45 Auto (30.4 oz.), USP 9mm (27.04 oz.), USP Compact 9mm (25.5 oz.), USP Compact .40 S&W (26.4 oz.), USP Compact 45 Auto (28.16 oz.), USP Compact Stainless 9mm (25.5 oz.), USP Compact Tactical .45 (30.08 oz.), USP Tactical 40 .40 S&W (32.32 oz.), USP Tactical 45 .45acp (32.48 oz.), USP Tactical 9mm (29.11 oz.), USP40 .40S&W (29.11 oz.), USP9SD 9mm (28.16 oz.)

Tactical models in DAO only. DAO DA/SA models only. USP Expert and Combat Competition not allowed due to magwell."

I believe since the LEM is not DAO DA/SA it is not legal.

A

The Comp/Com is just a regular 9mm USP with better sights, a jetfunnel, and either a match DA/SA or LEM trigger. It spec's that the jetfunnel is the problem, which can be removed, leaving you with a USP 9mm with a factory trigger and sights.

Can anyone confirm the LEM's legality before I order holsters and what not??

The LEM is as double action as a PAra LDA or DAK, same principle.

The Comp/Com is just a regular 9mm USP with better sights, a jetfunnel, and either a match DA/SA or LEM trigger. It spec's that the jetfunnel is the problem, which can be removed, leaving you with a USP 9mm with a factory trigger and sights.

Can anyone confirm the LEM's legality before I order holsters and what not??

The LEM is as double action as a PAra LDA or DAK, same principle.

If it's not on the approved list, I would be very surprised if he would deem it legal. The manufacturers have to specifically submit each model by model name for approval. Makes no difference if the model is essentially the same once you remove parts. IIRC this was once addressed in Front Sight and the LEM was not considered a true DAO/DA/SA, which is the reason for the exclusion language in the H&K list of approved Production models, as listed below, from the USPSA Web site.

H&K - HK45 45ACP (32 oz.), HK45 Compact 45ACP (28.2 oz.), P 30L 9mm (27.6 oz.), P2000 (22 oz.), P30 9mm (25.6 oz.), P7 (28 oz.), P8 (25.3 oz.), USP 45 Auto (30.4 oz.), USP 9mm (27.1 oz.), USP Compact 9mm (25.5 oz.), USP Compact .40 S&W (26.4 oz.), USP Compact 45 Auto (28.2 oz.), USP Compact Stainless 9mm (25.5 oz.), USP Compact Tactical .45 (30.1 oz.), USP Tactical 40 .40 S&W (32.4 oz.), USP Tactical 45 .45acp (32.5 oz.), USP Tactical 9mm (29.2 oz.), USP40 .40S&W (29.2 oz.), USP9SD 9mm (28.2 oz.)

Tactical models in DAO only. DAO DA/SA models only. USP Expert and Combat Competition not allowed due to magwell.

That said, it never hurts to ask :cheers:

Curtis

Pangris, you've probably already perused this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=lem+trigger

One of the posters indicated he received an affirmative reply on LEM's legality. If you do, please post the results. I'd be really interested in a definitive answer because this has been asked more than once by guys in our section, though H&Ks are a pretty rare bird in Production. But you still would seem have the issue of the unapproved model. If you're GTG, I'd recommend tucking a copy of the correspondence in your range bag, just in case you're questioned at a match.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide