Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK, so I'm thinking about shooting the cup in 2010

Fireant

I have been reading all the threads on here and still have some questions. I will use one of my open guns and am not going to try to mount a shroud or mover base on it. I can down load to a steel challenge type of load right? Do you have to shoot one side of the baricade with the support hand? I see the people with the cup guns do it, but do you have to? It seems like it would be just as easy to shoot the way I do in an IPSC match. I think I can practice everything but the mover locally, is there a cheap way to make a mover to practice on?

Thanks.

You are not required to shoot the barricade with the off hand. Many find it easier, I find it backwards. I shoot both sides with my strong hand. I've been shooting a basic open gun for about a year and a half. Just put a shroud on my gun this week making it a dedicated bianchi gun. My barricade scores were the only stage that were dragging behind so I decided to try a shroud. I may end up shooting the right side with my offhand when I get going with this shroud. Whatever works for you is what you should do. I think your loads only have to be a PF of 125 or something in that area but a faster load works better on the mover if your leading it rather than using a mover base. If there is an easy way to practice the mover, I haven't found it yet! Enjoy the ride, it's a lot of fun. Ed

Edited by Ed Robinson

The power factor for AP is 120. There is no Major or Minor. Just be somewhere over 120.

You can shoot the Barricade just about any way you want to in Open, either hand on the grip, either side. You do not NEED a shroud or

wings or a mover base. This year Rob Leatham shot a 480 on the barricade event with iron sights without even touching the barricade

at all.

You'll enjoy it. I shot this year for the first time and unfortunately schedules at work will make me miss 2010, but I'll be back in 2011! Take an extra gun, you can shoot them both for the same fee, but only your primary gun counts for score. Your grip safety must work! Even on your second or backup gun, and they DO check. Shoot lots of plate racks. And try to find and practice on a mover as much as you can. Have fun

Fireant,

If you were willing to drive to Tallahassee, they have a mover there and run an action match once a month. Since you won't be using a mover base you will need pratice on an actual mover. You can practice the mover by practicing target transitions but you will need to learn to shoot and hold a lead. I have heard that you can build a mover from a garage door opener but have never tried it. I know of one shooter that uses a reversible drill. I also heard of a shooter that had his wife pull the target for him. :wacko:

You have to shoot the same velocity ammo throughout the match so shooting a higher power factor ammo just for the mover is detrimental. I'm shooting a 115 gr bullet at 1150. My lead at 25 yards is 7.5". The target is 18" wide so this means if I was shooting leads I would aim just inside the edge of the target at 25. Some loads require you to aim off the target at 25 which can be a hassle.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Fireant, not sure where Woodbine is, seems like it's nearer Atlanta but I shoot at the Tallahassee matches. We shoot the 3rd Sat of the month. If you'd like to try a match and don't mind the drive, shoot me a pm or email and we can get together. Match fee is only $15. Ed

You'll enjoy it. I shot this year for the first time and unfortunately schedules at work will make me miss 2010, but I'll be back in 2011! Take an extra gun, you can shoot them both for the same fee, but only your primary gun counts for score. Your grip safety must work! Even on your second or backup gun, and they DO check. Shoot lots of plate racks. And try to find and practice on a mover as much as you can. Have fun

You can't make it in 2010? That's 7 months from now, if I remember correctly you guys from Dexter,MO cleaned up this year, your first year, I think some of you set some National Records as well. We definitely hope to see some of you in Columbia! It is good that you are on here promoting the sport, we hope you all run some Matches in the St. Louis, area.

Tom...

Fireant, not sure where Woodbine is, seems like it's nearer Atlanta but I shoot at the Tallahassee matches. We shoot the 3rd Sat of the month. If you'd like to try a match and don't mind the drive, shoot me a pm or email and we can get together. Match fee is only $15. Ed

Ed,

Thanks, I will make it over some. I'm over at the GA/FL border above Jacksonville.

We hope that many first timers, new shooters as well as the well versed can make it to the Cup 2010.

Just some observations which may be useful:

Match 1 aka PRACTICAL: Spend time time shooting groups at 50 yds. Many shooting disciplines rarely have 50 yd shots anymore, so know what your gun/ammo will do. Leartn what you need to do to shoot a center target area shot. Center area for you and your gun may be an X, a ten, maybe an eight or just centered somewhere on the paper. Also spend some tme shooting the 25 yd strings as they are challenging as well. Don't ignore the weak hand only string.

Match 2 aka BARRICADE: Time goes by fast on this one, so a quick draw and mount is critical so that you can settle quickly, then start shooting. If an open gun, the reverse grip (right side left hand, left side right hand) is suggested. This becomes a technique event. Get the techniques down, and the shooting is much less difficult. Metallic and Production guns, it is just tough. Spend some time shooting from both sides of the barricade at 25 & 35 yds to figure out what you need to do, and where you need to hold to get the desitred outcome you seek. Then figure out how to get it done in the alloted time.

Match 3 aka MOVER: If you have access to one by all means use it. One mistake which I think many shooters do is that they don't shoot enough standing point shoulder shooting at 25 yds. This shows big time on the Mover. Shoot 6 shot groups in 5 seconds or so at 10 & 15 yds, then shoot 3 shot groups in 5 seconds at 20 & 25 yds, that is what you are doing on the MOver. Simply add some swivel at the knees and some lead and keep the gun moving snd you'll be surprised how "less" difficult it becomes. As a genereal rule simply lead the target by 1/4s at each distance, it will be good enough for all but a very few hard holders.

Match 4 aka Falling PLATES: Shoot on plates or anything that reacts to your shooting. You must get used to the fall or not, as you shoot. With paper, this does not exist. After you have fired a shot, no matter what (fall or not) simply in cadence go to the next plate and so on. Plates are not as hard as they are, but stinking thinking bites deep as there are no eights on the plates!

MJ

You can't make it in 2010? That's 7 months from now, if I remember correctly you guys from Dexter,MO cleaned up this year, your first year, I think some of you set some National Records as well. We definitely hope to see some of you in Columbia! It is good that you are on here promoting the sport, we hope you all run some Matches in the St. Louis, area.

Tom...

Tom, I'll be the only one missing next year. I work on the river so every year my schedule is opposite. The only thing I always make is the Masters, I take extra days off for it if I must. Yes, some of the guys really cleaned up this year, unfortunately I wasn't one of them, lol. Did get more than my match fee back though, so that's a definite plus! Also had a great time. It was great that our junior shooter set a new record, and took home a random draw pistol on his first major match. Bianchi is great and I'll be practicing much more 'til the next time. See you then :cheers: