Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder shower

So, I've been loading pistol ammo on SDB's for about ten years. I finally bought a 550 for rifle, and it works great except for the powder measure. When I lower the ram after charging the case (.308) a shower of powder falls all over the shell plate and bench. So far I haven't been able to see where its coming from. I've been pausing at the top of the stroke to make sure all the powder has dumped but it makes no difference. Also the variation in charge weight is greater than I think it should be. The SDB's and my RCBS measure with the ball powder (TAC) I'm using is +/- 0.1 to 0.2 grains. The 550 is +/- 0.5 grains. Any ideas what is going on?

First, be sure the powder bar is pushed all the way over at the same time the handle bottoms out. This ensures all the powder is dropped out of the bar. Next, pull the handle down more slowly, so it takes at least one full second for the powder bar to move full travel. This gives the large amount of powder in the bar time to drop through the funnel into the case. :ph34r:

Yes. I'm loading TAC. I was trying to work up a load but with the variation in weights I'm getting on the 550 it's impossible. I've switched back to my RCBS powder measure and Rock Chucker press until I get the load right and then I'll try the 550 again. Starting at 42 grains and working up to 46.