Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How easy is it to switch out the trigger?

Revopop

I just picked up a 624 on a whim, the only thing I don't like about it is the serrated target trigger. It works great for single action shooting, but I hate it for DA shooting. So, how hard is it to switch out the trigger for a narrow smooth one? Does this part require fitting? Are there other parts I'd need to get? Where can I order a smooth narrow trigger?

Keep in mind, this is from the guy who's so unhandy that he's never detail stripped his Glock.

Edited by Revopop

Good Morning,

If you do not want that trigger, I will take it! I put the 400 wide serrated trigger on several of my S&Ws. I have done about 15 trigger swaps and I had to do some fitting only once or twice. You have a good chance of just dropping in the new trigger. You may want to think about getting the special tool to remove the rebound spring - it makes life much easier. Watch that the spring does not fly out into your face!

Ken

Revopop, Swapping the trigger has not been a problem for me. Most parts were stock so that might have some bearing. The hardest part of the whole deal is getting the hand on the trigger. Not that it is hard just takes a little cussing and swearing that you will never do this again... but you do... later rdd

Even if the gun has been worked on you probably won't have to fit it. I would also recommend getting the rebound spring remover tool.

Make sure you take careful note of how the hand spring goes in the trigger and rests on the hand. It will save you time in the long run, trust me... lol

Good luck

What you need is DOCTOR DREMEL but I don't know if he makes house calls. :D

Bob

A16841

He used to, but then I foolishly moved to Indiana!

Thanks for the help, y'all. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep this gun or not, but if I do, switching out the trigger will be step one. I friggin' hate the wide trigger.

Grinding the grooves off a good forged trigger is the ultimate sin! I have a new smooth .300" forged trigger which was taken out of my 625 SAC Mountain Gun. I swapped out that trigger before the revolver saw any live fire. I will happily trade it away to anybody who wants to get rid of a grooved trigger. I prefer .265" grooved but I'll also take a target trigger and have it thinned down if necessary. Just let me know.

Swapping out triggers is hit or miss. I have a .265" grooved forged trigger installed in my 627-4 some years ago. A forged trigger can work in a newer MIM gun. When I sold that 627, I kept that grooved trigger and put the original back in. I then put that grooved trigger in my new 625 Mountain Gun and it fit and functioned perfectly. But then I attempted to swap another grooved trigger into my shorty 625 and there were all kinds of problems. And this is when keeping the original hands. So you never know. If they don't just drop right in, I'll let somebody who knows what he's doing fit it properly.

Dave Sinko

One piece of info you need is that the 624 triggers in these guns are forged with a flash chrome finish. Therefore, if you want to change the trigger you need to be sure you're getting a forged part to put in. The modern MIM parts may not be as compatible in that 1980s vintage gun. You could probably buy a standard trigger by posting a WTB on the S&W Forum. There are guys out there who seem to have boxes full of these things. I have done this and changed out both hammer and trigger on N frame Smiths.

God luck and have fun,

Bob.

A16841