Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz Or 1911?

Vlad

Hi all,

I've been reading the forums for a while but being very much a newbie, I never felt the need to post.

However I need your help with a decession I have been working on. So far I have been shooting my CZ75B 9mm, stock, in Production and L10. I really like L10 more then Production, or at least for now I do. I would like to get a gun that will do major, but I also can't afford to spend a fotrune. I have been going back and forth between the CZ75 SA .40 and the Springfield Mil-Spec. The Mil-Spec I can upgrade as time goes on and I find out what I like and can afford. The CZ is closer to what I need out of the box. There are a million uogrades for the Springfield and almost none for the CZ. Both have great ergonomics. The Springfield is a 1911 and as such a classic, but I like the CZs and they are something different. The calibers both make major and I need to buy dies and such for either.

Every week I change my mind. I am not rich enough to buy both. I am not a big fan of the double stack 1911s (they don't seem to sit well in my hand) and most are out of my budget anyway, so those are out. The Glock 35 would be a choice, but then I get scared of the Glock/.40 thing and I can't afford an aftermarket barrel righ away.

What do you think? HELP! :wacko:

Vlad

Vlad - My first Limited gun was the G35 and I found it to be a great gun. Very reliable and easy to shoot. If you can find one used with high caps included you can get going for 1/2 the price of an S_I widebody. Let me be the first to say

"Welcome to the Forums" :D

Well my opinion on this for me is a no-brainer. I too have a CZ 75B 9mm so my advice may help you. This is just my opinion and I'm sure whichever route you go down will be a good one. For me I wouldn't think twice about the 1911. I would buy it and never look back. I like my CZ but absolutely love my 1911's. There is nothing like the nice clean break on a 1911 trigger. Everything about the gun is just so great. With time you can modify it to better fit your needs. Start with a lighter trigger and magwell and for from there. These are all things you can do yourself. The majority of shooters shoot 1911's for a reason. Remember too that parts are easier to get for 1911's and usually much cheaper.

My advice would be to get the 1911.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Pete :ph34r:

Sounds like you just need to resolve the "need to customize" issue...If you really like the CZ, there's nothing wrong with that. But like you said, if you want to start changing stuff, your stuck.

The other thing to consider, since you said you had budget constraints, would be buying something NOW and end up getting what you REALLY WANTED later.

I always tell people who aren't sure of what they want to go to a match and ask people to shoot their guns. I have never met anyone in IPSC not willing to let a curious shooter run a few mags. That's probably the best way to make up your mind.

Get the CZ 40. I assume the Springfield you write of is a single-stack .45. The che zed .40 would be easier to reload, easier to shoot faster, and cheaper to reload (or purchase factory ammo). Forget extensive customization; all you need are good sights (no dots or bars) and a decent trigger.

By the time you get all the custom add-ons for the Springfield you could have bought a real competitive Limited/L10 gun.

I have been leaning towards the CZ (this week). It seems that the SA model is quite different then the rest of the 75's. It comes with ambi safety, extended mag release, a longer beavertail, and a flat single action trigger (pivot not straight pull). It seems to have all the features I would want on a 1911 anyway. A trigger job, and new sights would need to get done to either of them. The only thing harder to do to the CZ is adding a magwell, as I doubt that anyone makes it. Though I would think I could find one in Europe for the Witness or TZ and have it fitted. Also as a double stack I might be able to do something for Limited later on (though I'm not sure how far that can go).

Well I guess I'll go with the CZ, which is also $100 less. I'll get me a 1911 someday, just not that soon. That is assuming that no one build a smart gun and screws all of us in NJ.

Thank you all.

Vlad

CZs are great guns, and you are already used to them.... so for Lim-10, sounds like you are making a good decision, budget and familiarity wise.

For the future, if you do decide to get a 1911, don't get a Mil-Spec. Buy the time you tweak it where it will be a good Lim-10 or Lim gun, you'll be broke. Between good sights, a good barrel, refit slide to frame, and barrel, trigger job, etc. etc. etc. you'll spend a small fortune. The only thing stock you'll have left will be the frame and slide, which still need extensive fitting.

Get a 1911 Kimber, Springfield Loaded, STI Trojan, or any variant there of that is already 95% ready to race - for the difference in price, you'll be much happier, and have a quality gun thats ready to shoot now, rather than months and endless parts swapping later. :wacko:

Seriously, save your pennys and spend the extra couple hundred on the best 1911 you can afford. You'll be happy in the long run.

In the mean time, dance with what ya brung, or the CZ in .40 would be good choice for now - just don't spend to much on it, if you ever need to sell it, it won't bring much.

<_<

I shoot a CZ 75B in Production. Having bought and sold pistols, upgraded, changed my mind, and started all over, I know what I would do. I would shoot the 9mm in Production until I had enough information and experience to really decide what I really want to do. The cost of getting equipment for another division would buy a lot of ammo. Every time I get in a rush it costs me more money later on, lol.