Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative Popper Design

BritinUSA

Have y'all thought about something like the RRT. It was austensibly designed for IDPA, but you get the idea. http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho On the second screen choose a link on the left "Reed_Reactive_Target" It only has steel in the down zero areas. It could be used without paper in front of it so make it a purely steel target.

It is also caliber insensitive. A 25cal pistol round knocks it down.

kr

Edited by freeidaho

Nik Habicht wrote:

So designing a target with hard cover that will only expose the calibration zone is bound to fail, because we're not all one height.....

FWIW, I ran the math... from a distance of 23 feet, a five foot shooter gets to see a quarter inch more of the popper versus a 4 foot shooter, assuming that the hard cover plate is 6" in front of the face of the popper.

Just a quarter inch....

Is there anything in the rule book, currently, that prevents a Match Director from turning the white no shoot targets horizontally and staking them right in front of each popper, just leaving the calibration zone and above exposed?

Is there anything in the rule book, currently, that prevents a Match Director from turning the white no shoot targets horizontally and staking them right in front of each popper, just leaving the calibration zone and above exposed?

Nope --- but no match director worth his salt would allow that......

Shooters can use that opportunity to get a reshoot at will.....

Yeah, I knew it was a crappy stage design when I mentioned.

I guess if a local club had the steel around or had steel noshoots painted up and ready to go and they were sadistic, they could run their steel noshoots horizontally right in front of the poppers.

Have y'all thought about something like the RRT. It was austensibly designed for IDPA, but you get the idea. http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho On the second screen choose a link on the left "Reed_Reactive_Target" It only has steel in the down zero areas. It could be used without paper in front of it so make it a purely steel target.

It is also caliber insensitive. A 25cal pistol round knocks it down.

kr

These are an interesting idea. They look maintenance sensitive. Current steel is not being maintained by staff-so these might fare worse. I like them.