Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home range?

FiremanBrad

The wife and I are getting ready to move to the country, and I want to build a horseshoe shaped berm, to put in a practice range.....Any hints, ideas??? How tall should the berm be?? I will of course, face it in a safe direction away from any close neighbors...Anyone ever build one???

Hi,

I have been directly involved in building two large outdoor ranges and one small private range.

The private range sounds like what you want to do We built it in a horse shoe type shape. We also utilized the back part of a pond dam as one-third of the shoe.

I don't know how much land you have, but digging a pond is an excellent source of berm material.

I have used the 2:1 method for rough calculation of dirt. Example. For a 25 yard pistol bay, you might want a 12 foot tall berms. So your base would be around 24 feet thick. Not perfect math, but close. It gets real tricky when you start extending the height.

Anyway, the NRA has a good range development program. They also have a book on CD for about $20 on total range design.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp

Good Luck!

It depends on what is behind the berm. If it's really remote, looking into a hillside with nothing but rocks and trees, the requirements are a bit more flexible than if there are people over the berm, even a mile or two away. If there are people there, you cannot ever allow any oopsies over the berm. For this reason, heights will range from about 8 to 30 feet.