Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tao Te Ching, my favorite verses

little_kahuna

Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching is the basis of the philosophy (and less commonly the religion of) Taoism. Having explored a bit of philosophical Toaism, I thought I'd share some of my favorite chapters from the Tao Te Ching. This book has greatly influenced my whole shooting mentality, and I think that it has helped me quite a bit. It helps me calm down, find my balance, and to shoot with an empty mind.

(sorry for the length)

Tao Te Ching

One

Tao, the subtle reality of the universe cannot be described.

That which can be described in words is merely a conception of the mind. Although names and descriptions have been applied to it, the subtle reality is beyond description.

One may use the word "Nothingness" to describe the Origin of the Universe, and "Beingness" to describe the Mother of the myriad things, but Nothingness and Beingness are merely conceptions.

From the Perspective of Nothingness, one may perceive the expansion of the universe. From the perspective of Beingness, one may distinguish individual things.

Both are for the conceptual convenience of the mind.

Although different concepts can be applied, Nothingness and Beingness and other conceptual activity of the mind all come from the same indescribable subtle Originalness.

The Way is the unfoldment of such subtle reality. Having reached the subtlety of the universe, one may see the ultimate subtlety, the Gate of All Wonders.

Two

As soon as the world regards something as beautiful, ugliness simultaneously becomes apparent. As soon as the world regards something as good, evil simultaneously becomes apparent.

In exactly the same manner, existence and nonexistence give birth to each other. Difficult and easy define each other. Long and short form each other. High and low make each other distinguishable. Silence and sound make each other conspicuous. Front and back connect each other.

Realizing this, one does not separate one's being from the subtle essence of the universe.

One holds no preconceptions, and does things without insisting on personal conditions.

One guides people by living in accord with the essence of life.

One brings good things about, but has no intention of possessing them.

One performs works, but has no intention to acquire personal power.

When one's task is accomplished, one lets go of it and seeks no reward or recognition. Because one does not claim credit for oneself, one does not do any damage to oneself.

Three

When the superior are not exalted, envy will not be aroused. Then, there will be no rivalry or contention among people.

When wealth is not treasured, desire for possessions will not be stirred up.

Then people will not be tempted to rob one another.

By shutting that which is desirable out of sight, the heart will remain undisturbed.

Then there will be no confusion in the hearts of people.

The guidance of the Universal One of natural wholeness is therefore:

Empty your mind.

Enjoy good health.

Weaken your ambitions.

Strengthen your essence.

When people are free from cunning, desire, and artifice, everything will be well-ordered of its own accord.

Four

The subtle way of the universe appears to lack strength, yet its power is inexhaustible. Fathomless, it could be the origin of all things.

It has no sharpness, yet it rounds off all sharp edges.

It has no form, yet it unties all tangles.

It has no glare, yet it merges all lights.

It harmonizes all things and unites them as one integral whole.

It seems so obscure, yet it is the Ultimate Clarity.

Whose offspring it is can never be known. It is that which existed before any divinity.

Five

The subtle virtue of the universe is wholeness.

It regards all things as equal.

The virtue of the sage is wholeness.

He too regards all things as equal.

The universe may be compared to a bellows.

It is empty, yet it never fails to generate its products.

The more it moves, the more it brings forth.

Many words lead one nowhere.

Many pursuits in different directions bring only exhaustion.

Rather, embrace the subtle essence within.

Eight

One of universal nature is like water, he benefits all things but does not contend with them.

He unprotestingly takes the lowest position; thus he is close to the universal truth.

One of universal virtue chooses to live in a suitable environment.

He attunes his mind to become profound.

He deals with others with kindness.

In his speech, he is sincere.

His rule brings about order.

His work is efficient.

His actions are opportune.

One of deep virtue does not contend with people; thus, he is above reproach.

Nine

A bow that is stretched to its fullest capacity may certainly snap.

A sword that is tempered to its very sharpest may easily be broken.

A house that is full of jade and gold cannot remain secure for long.

One who proudly displays his wealth invites trouble.

Therefore, resign from your high position when your mission is complete.

This is the Universal Way of a life of deep virtue.

Ten

Can you always embrace Oneness without the slightest separation of body and mind?

Can you maintain undivided concentration until your vital force is as supple as a newborn baby's?

Can you clarify your inner vision to be flawless?

Can you love your people and serve your state with no self-exaltation?

As Life's Gate opens and closes in the performance of birth and death, can you maintain the receptive, feminine principle when yin and yang are changing?

After achieving the crystal clear mind, can you remain detached and innocent?

Give birth to and nourish all things without desiring to possess them.

Give of yourself, without expecting something in return.

Assist people, but do not attempt to control them.

This is how to realize the deep virtue of the universe.

Eleven

Thirty spokes together make a wheel for a cart.

It is the empty space in the center which enables it to be used.

Mold clay into a vessel; it is the emptiness within that creates the usefulness of the vessel.

Cut out doors and windows in a house; it is the empty space inside that creates the usefulness of the house.

Thus, what we have may be something substantial, But its usefulness lies in the unoccupied, empty space.

The substance of your body is enlivened by maintaining the part of your body that is unoccupied.

Fourteen

Look at it, but you cannot see it. Because it is formless, you call it invisible.

Listen to it, but you cannot hear it. Because it is soundless, you call it inaudible.

Grasp it, but it is beyond your reach. Because it is subtle, you call it intangible.

These three are the indescribable and imperceptible, but in the mystical moment you see it, hear it and grasp it, the Unseen, Unheard and Unreachabe presents itself as the indefinable essence.

Confront it, and you do not see its face.

Follow it, and you do not see its back.

It does not appear dark when viewed at the zenith.

Nor does it appear dark when viewed at the nadir.

There is nothing that can make this subtle essence of the universe distinct.

When you try to make it clear to yourself, it evasively reverts to Nothingness.

You may call it the Form of the Formless or the Image of the Imageless.

Yet the elusive, subtle essence remains nameless.

If you hope to meet it, it has no part you can call front.

If you hope to follow it, it has no place you can call behind.

Yet it can be observed in the constant regularity of the universe.

The constancy of the universe of antiquity is the constancy of the present time.

If one knows the Primal Beginning, one may thus know the truth of the universal subtle Way.

Sixteen

Attain the utmost unoccupiedness.

Maintain the utmost stillness, and do not interfere with all the things that rush together in activity and grow luxuriantly.

Then you can see how the living things flourish and renew themselves.

Yet, they all must return to the root again, each to its simple source.

Knowing to return to the root is to be refreshed.

This is called subtle revitalization.

To restore one's vitality is to constantly renew oneself.

To know constant renewal is to have achieved clarity.

If one does not know constant self renewal and thus acts foolishly, disaster will soon occur.

Knowing constancy in renewing oneself, one can extend the duration of one's life.

If one can deeply understand the extension of life's duration, one is able to contain all things within oneself.

To be all-inclusive is to be impartial.

To be impartial is to realize the positive, creative virtues of Heaven.

To be Heavenly, is to be one with the subtle essence of the universe.

To be one with the subtle essence of the universe is to enjoy everlasting life.

Such a one will be preserved even after the dissolution of his physical body.

Twenty-One

One of deep virtue cherishes the subtle essence of the universe.

The subtle essence of the universe is elusive and evasive.

Though it is elusive and evasive, it unveils itself as images and forms.

Evasive and elusive, it discloses itself as indefinable substance.

Shadowy and indistinct, it reveals itself as impalpable subtle essence.

This essence is so subtle, and yet so real.

It is the subtle origin of the whole of creation and non-creation.

It existed prior to the beginning of time as a single deep and subtle reality of the universe.

It brings all into being.

Twenty-Two

The yielding are preserved whole.

The crooked become straight.

The empty become filled.

The depleted re renewed.

What has little will gain.

What has much will become confused.

Therefore, one with a whole mind holds fast to the one essence and thereby becomes an example to the rest of the world.

Because he does not flaunt his brightness, he becomes enlightened.

Because he is not so self-important, he becomes illustrious.

Because he does not boast of his accomplishments, he becomes successful.

Because he is not self-assertive, he becomes supreme.

Because he does not strive for superiority, there is no one in the world who can contend with his superiority.

Indeed, the ancient teaching that "the yielding are preserved whole" is no empty saying.

Truly, they are preserved whole in order to attain one universal life.

Twenty-Three

The utterance of the universal subtle law is too loud to be audible.

Look at this:

A squall does not last the whole morning,

nor does a torrential shower last the whole day.

What determines this?

Even Nature cannot make such violence last for long.

How long then, can the violent actions of human beings last?

Hence, one who follows gentleness becomes one with the universal truth.

One who follows wholeness becomes one with universal virtue.

One who separates himself from the universal nature and from universal virtue becomes separate and lost.

When one is one with the universal nature, universal nature is one with him.

When one is one with universal virtue, universal virtue is one with him.

When one deviates from universal nature, deviation keeps him from universal nature.

If one does not know and believe that the subtle law manifests in his own life, how can he have faith that it pervades the entire universe?

Twenty-Five

Before Heaven and Earth are born, there is something formless and complete in itself.

Impalpable and everlasting, silent and undisturbed, standing alone and unchanging, it exercises itself gently, and generates itself inexhaustively in all dimensions.

It may be regarded as the Mother of all things.

Far beyond humankind's relative conception, it cannot be referred to by a specific name, yet it may be identified as the subtle essence of the universe.

In the absence of an accurate word, I shall call it "the Great."

Being great, it extends itself without limit.

Extending itself without limit, it is far-reaching.

Being far-reaching, it is ultimately reverts to itself, returning to its self-sufficient origin.

Indeed, it had never really left itself!

This indefinable subtle energy flow is truly the greatest of all.

Expressing its integral nature, the universal subtle essence remains intangible, yielding and uncontrollable: the ultimate expression of the cosmos.

As an expression of its unceasing creativeness, it manifests as the spaciousness of the sky.

As an expression of its receptiveness, it manifests as the great massiveness of galaxies, stars, and planets.

As an expression of its harmonious reintegration, it manifests as a human life.

Thus, in the natural flow of energy transformation, human life becomes one of the four great expressions of the subtle essence of the universe.

It is the way of universal subtle integration.

Humankind conforms to Earth.

Earth conforms to the sky.

The sky conforms to the Subtle Origin.

The Subtle Origin conforms to its own nature.

These are the four peaks of manifestation from the great transformation of one universal subtle energy.

Taking an individual human life as example, the intangible body with its fluids and nervous system construct a field of intangible but functioning mind and super consciousness.

Twenty-Six

Centeredness is the cure for impulsiveness.

Serenity is the master of restlessness.

Knowing this, one of universal nature is placid and never departs from the center of his own being.

Though he may move about all day, he never loses his poise.

Though he may be surrounded by splendor and comfort, he is always dispassionate and undistracted.

For one with great responsibility, to conduct himself lightly is perilous.

In frivolity, one's root is lost.

In restlessness, one's self-mastery could go with the wind!

Twenty-Eight

Know that you possess the strong masculine principle, yet abide by the meek, feminine principle.

Thus, become the flowing stream of the world.

As the flowing stream of the world, never swerve from your true nature.

In this way, you return to the originality of a newborn babe.

Knowing the bright, yet keep to the dark.

Never wavering from the subtle truth, you will conform to the pattern of an integral being.

In this way, you return again to the infinite.

Know how to be honored and glorified, yet maintain unadorned plainness.

Thus, become the abundant valley of the world.

As the abundant valley of the world, you realize the sufficiency of the constant, subtle virtue of the integral universe.

In this way, you return to the original simplicity of an uncarved block of wood with undamaged potential.

An integral individual, by preserving the original qualities of his being, maintains his supreme, integral nature.

When the uncarved block is shaped into various single tools and vessels, its original qualities are destroyed.

This is called "the great Oneness that cannot be divided."

Twenty-Nine

Those who want to conquer the world and make it conform to their own desires will never have success, for the sovereignty of the world is a subtle thing.

He who tries to shape it spoils it.

He who tries to hold it loses it.

The things of the world are constantly changing.

There is a time for things to move ahead, and a following time for things to retreat;

a time to withdraw internally,

and a following time to expand externally;

a time to grow luxuriantly,

and a following time to decay;

a time to rise up,

and a following time to sink down low.

Therefore, one who does not separate his being from the deep nature of the universe avoids all extremes, extravagance and excess.

Awesome - thanks for taking the time to make such a nice post!

I have about 6 different translations of the Tao Te Ching. I had a project in mind - I was go through them all chapter by chapter and type out my favorite version of each chapter. Because different translators interpretations vary drastically. But like many ideas I just couldn't find the time for it.

Then recently I was stumbling around the internet and found this cool site. It has line by line translations of every chapter by 26 authors!

:D

be

• 3 weeks later...

I have about 6 different translations of the Tao Te Ching. I had a project in mind - I was go through them all chapter by chapter and type out my favorite version of each chapter. Because different translators interpretations vary drastically. But like many ideas I just couldn't find the time for it.

Then recently I was stumbling around the internet and found this cool site. It has line by line translations of every chapter by 26 authors!

be

I just thought that it was definitely relavent to our sport, and worth sharing for everyone. I think it's one of those things that people of all skill levels can benefit from. That's why i keep reading it over and over. :lol:

That site is sweet! thanks Brian!

Nick

• 7 months later...

be

That is the problem w/ linear thought (language). Each of us has a unique symbol-set. Similar, but unique...so there is a little "miss" w/ each & every mind-to-mind connection. That is why it's always better to keep your mouth shut. Now if I could only take my own advice...

• 4 months later...