Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Small rife casefeed adapter

The .223 adapter that fits on the bottom end of the clear plastic feed tube has a slot cut in it to allow the "long" .223 to slide out into the shell plate. The adapter has a small pin installed at the factory which mates into a small hole drilled into the adapter housing which is fastened over the plunger/plunger roller assembly. My newly purchased adapter has the pin set up so if I put it into the obvious location the slot in the adapter faces the rear....

Am I missing something obvious here or is it as it appears - the pin in the adapter is on the wrong side of the adapter...? :surprise:

Not a big deal as long as I can find my duct tape to use to secure the adapter from rotation and keep the slot oriented to the front I suppose. :)

Anyone else run into this?

Merlin: You are one of the unwise right now grasshopper :roflol: You are going to load on a RL1050 not the newer Super 1050--right? I ran into the same problem. Dillon sent me the wrong adapter plate(black piece) that bolts to the press. The early press has the hole on the opposite side of the newer press. You eiither drill a hole on the other side or phone Dillon and get the newer one. I talked to Jim and he knows about it now :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Merlin: You are one of the unwise right now grasshopper :roflol: You are going to load on a RL1050 not the newer Super 1050--right? I ran into the same problem. Dillon sent me the wrong adapter plate(black piece) that bolts to the press. The early press has the hole on the opposite side of the newer press. You eiither drill a hole on the other side or phone Dillon and get the newer one. I talked to Jim and he knows about it now :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Ahh but to the contrary, my friend.... I checked several of mine and both the Super 1050 and the RL 1050s all had the pin hole in the front side..... Hmmmm....

Merlin: Then you have the older style conversion holder with the complete round top. The newer style is all open in the front with a long slot. If you are in a hurry just remove the split pin from the white conversion piece and drill another hole into both pieces. If not give Dillon a call and get the new black base piece. Thanks, Eric

Merlin:

Eric mentioned being in a hurry, so this might help. Do you also have an older (RL 1050) caliber conversion in .30 Carbine? If so, the casefeed adapter for the .30 Carbine and the .223 Remington are interchangeable. They have different part numbers, but they will work if the pins are in the right place. You can use an older (RL 1050) .30 Carbine casefeed adapter with your existing adapter housing to load the .223.

I also have an RL1050, and those presses have the pin hole in the front (towards the center of the press) side of the adapter housing. I suppose Dillon went to the hole in the back (towards the operator) side of that adapter housing because the longer cases loaded on the Super 1050 required the elimination of the front pin, requiring that it be moved to the back.

I got this problem from the opposite direction – I had a .223 caliber conversion, and when I added a .30 Carbine conversion, which was a “new style” Super 1050 conversion, the pins didn’t fit, just as you have described. As an expedient, I found that I could interchange my “old style” RL 1050 .223 casefeed adapter and use it to load the .30 Carbine in place of the “new style” casefeed adapter.

As soon as Dillon was open, I called Tech Support and explained the problem. The Tech Support guy had to talk to an engineer but then called back to tell me that Dillon had relocated the pin. He said that he would send me a new adapter housing (part No. 11006), and that would solve the problem. When the new adapter housing came in, it was the same as the old one! I called Tech Support back, and this time he made sure that the adapter housing sent was the new “Super 1050" style. I guess that instruction is important because the part numbers seem to be the same, even though the part has changed.

Anyway, call Dillon and they will send you a new adapter housing. Just specify that it has to be the new “Super 1050" style to go with your new caliber conversion.

The new casefeed adapter with pins both front and back, which BerKim mentioned, should solve the problem. I hadn’t heard of those. Note, though, that if you use a two-pin adapter, it won’t work with your original adapter housing. And none of your older “RL 1050" casefeed adapters will work with the new adapter housing, because it doesn’t have a pin hole in the front where it is necessary to keep the adapter from turning.

I just change the adapter housing from old style to new style, or vice versa, whenever I change the casefeed plunger when doing a caliber changeover.

Jim M.

Merlin:

Eric mentioned being in a hurry, so this might help. Do you also have an older (RL 1050) caliber conversion in .30 Carbine? If so, the casefeed adapter for the .30 Carbine and the .223 Remington are interchangeable. They have different part numbers, but they will work if the pins are in the right place. You can use an older (RL 1050) .30 Carbine casefeed adapter with your existing adapter housing to load the .223.

I also have an RL1050, and those presses have the pin hole in the front (towards the center of the press) side of the adapter housing. I suppose Dillon went to the hole in the back (towards the operator) side of that adapter housing because the longer cases loaded on the Super 1050 required the elimination of the front pin, requiring that it be moved to the back.

I got this problem from the opposite direction – I had a .223 caliber conversion, and when I added a .30 Carbine conversion, which was a “new style” Super 1050 conversion, the pins didn’t fit, just as you have described. As an expedient, I found that I could interchange my “old style” RL 1050 .223 casefeed adapter and use it to load the .30 Carbine in place of the “new style” casefeed adapter.

As soon as Dillon was open, I called Tech Support and explained the problem. The Tech Support guy had to talk to an engineer but then called back to tell me that Dillon had relocated the pin. He said that he would send me a new adapter housing (part No. 11006), and that would solve the problem. When the new adapter housing came in, it was the same as the old one! I called Tech Support back, and this time he made sure that the adapter housing sent was the new “Super 1050" style. I guess that instruction is important because the part numbers seem to be the same, even though the part has changed.

Anyway, call Dillon and they will send you a new adapter housing. Just specify that it has to be the new “Super 1050" style to go with your new caliber conversion.

The new casefeed adapter with pins both front and back, which BerKim mentioned, should solve the problem. I hadn’t heard of those. Note, though, that if you use a two-pin adapter, it won’t work with your original adapter housing. And none of your older “RL 1050" casefeed adapters will work with the new adapter housing, because it doesn’t have a pin hole in the front where it is necessary to keep the adapter from turning.

I just change the adapter housing from old style to new style, or vice versa, whenever I change the casefeed plunger when doing a caliber changeover.

Jim M.

New style - old style...Tomato / tomato yada yada... I always know what kind of a deal I will get. A typical ORR-deal...LOL... I will call Dillon and get the new adapter housing... :cheers:

Merlin:

You asked, “Anyone else run into this?” We answered.

Yes.

At least Eric and I have run into it, and that is two people in just a couple of hours. That leads me to believe that it is something that a lot of people run into.

I don’t think it will be “A typical ORR-deal”. It will be a Dillon deal! They will fix it!

We were just trying to get you to say “tomato” instead of “tomahtoe”, so that Dillon will send you the right adapter housing, “New Style Super 1050 Adapter Housing” the first time.

Aw, hell! Anyone who loads with a 1050 is someone I would like to have a beer with, even if you do say “tomahtoe”!

:cheers:

Jim M.

Well.... One phone call to Dillon and Gary took about 10 seconds to recognize, addresses and rectify the problem with a new and proper (FREE) part shipped to my address....

I know it's old and perhaps overused but..... Damn, DILLON CUSTOMER SERVICE ROCKS!

Dillon... :wub: