Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627-4 .38Super brass question

Peakbagr

It's funny, I've never really been all that excited about the .38 Super revolvers either, but the guys at the IRC seem to just love them. Look around at that match, I swear you'd see half the 627-4s in existence walking around in people's holsters.....

Sure, this from the elitist bastard whose main 8 shooter is one of 300...

Seriously, though, I've never understood the appeal either. After seeing an 8 shooter with short colts in action, I can't conceive of anything working better.

: :D

The 158 grain bullets I shoot are .356 and are made mostly of Linotype, made by one of my customers.

I wasnt aware a 625 would operate without moon clips , I really like to use moonclips, in fact since I

started fooling with revolvers again im having more fun than a monkey in truck full of monkey pickles,

Nice folks shoot these revolver matches. And its been easier on me since Ive had a knee replaced

makes practice more fun not having to pick up brass.

I really like the 38 super , Iused it when I shot open and it is used in my carry gun.

Although this 627 isnt as accurate as I want its still alot of fun to shoot, I plan to put a polygon rifled

barrel on it, Ive put one on my newer 625 havent had a chance to shoot it yet.

This 627-4 is much more accurate than the 625 I bought last year< I tryed every kind of load

combo I could think of and some I never used before, the 625 would not group, even from a ransom

rest, did all the things , tryed three types of taper for the forceing cone and took the barrel off

and use a reamer to lengthen the forcing cone similiar to the ones I do on a 45 auto this was the best

set up I believe cause I polished the forcing cone to a mirror finish and this brought the groups to around 4"

at twenty five yards mostly in the "A"zone.

The 686 I mention in a previous post is a 38 super and has a longer forcing cone and polished to a mirror

finish and it shoots groups right on top of each other at 25 yards and 2.5 at 50 yards using the 158 grain

bullets with longshot and 4756 powders.

Jim

Sailors :devil::roflol:

I know I never used 158 gr. bullets sized .356" in my Super. The 124 gr. LRN cast hard and sized .356" was a disaster for me. The bullets keyholed immediately and were hopelessly inaccurate. Is it possible that the 124 gr. bullet is too light for this revolver? Or were these revolvers made with such variation that the barrels had different or varying groove diameters?

On the issue of sticky extraction, are you using new brass or stuff picked up at the range? These revolvers do not take kindly to range brass. Some would fit into the cylinder after resizing, but most would not. Still, brand new R-P and Win. would be problematic for me.

I'll be at the eastern ICORE championship match later this month and I'll look for the new 627-4s. And I want to take a closer look at the 627 Pro. I just might be tempted to buy one of those.

Dave Sinko

I was told at the IRC this year that the old 627-4s and the new batch of supers all have the standard .357 barrel inner diameter. I never miked mine when I had it, but I wouldn't be surprised.....It wouldn't make good business sense to make 300 new barrels with a smaller inner diameter when your barrel fixture was already set up for the .357 size projectiles would it...... :rolleyes: Course in fairness it probably wasn't spec'd that way either.......

It seems with the old and new guns, .357-358 sized bullets for accuracy, or a new .355 barrel for conventional bullet weight for the Super....Frustrating aint it....... :wacko:

DougC

I rebarreled my PPC gun with a Walther .355 barrel. That is the one they list for .38/.357. It has a twist rate a little under 1 in 10. It is

extremely accurate with any bullets from .355 to .357 diam. I am currently shooting .357 125gr Zero JHP in it and getting some of my best

scores ever. I got it mainly because of the component shortage so if I found a deal on 9mm bullets I could use them to get by with. The blank

is long enough for 2 barrels. I made another one for one of the guys I shoot with and he's getting the same results.

Sure, this from the elitist bastard whose main 8 shooter is one of 300...

Untrue. They only made 100 of the Bangers 27-7 that I use as my main 8 shooter. If you were here, I would take off a glove and slap you with it.

You wouldn't have your butler do it for you?