Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MAJOR variance in velocity readings

Will_M

I started a thread in the .40 loading section but I thought this topic fit better here.

I just loaded up some rounds to try to make major out of my M&P40. 170 grain precision molys, loaded to 1.130", I also had to use 5.5 grains of WST (we'll get to that in a minute).

I stopped every 5 rounds while loading on my 550 to check the powder charge, and got the usual tiny bit of variance (i'm using a balance scale) but at the chrono, my velocities were all over the place.

#1: 920

#2: 1012

#3: 956

#4: 905

#5: 1001

#6: 1032

I'm using a shooting chrony F1. Could the crappy chrono be the problem? Should I switch to chrono with my Pact MKIV?

Will, those are fairly extreme velocities spreads. Pay particular attention to the distance from the muzzle to the first sensor. Before switching chronos make sure that your not picking up some muzzle blast. That could very well be the problem. I used my F1 with good results in the shade about 12-14 feet from the muzzle. If your results stay the same, report back.

Jim

Will, those are fairly extreme velocities spreads. Pay particular attention to the distance from the muzzle to the first sensor. Before switching chronos make sure that your not picking up some muzzle blast. That could very well be the problem. I used my F1 with good results in the shade about 12-14 feet from the muzzle. If your results stay the same, report back.

Jim

Thanks for the quick response, Jim. I'm going back out early in the morning and try it in the shade. What do you mean it could be picking up muzzle blast?

I had a similar problem, it was very cloudy and a light rain. I went back the next day and the results were much better. As far as muzzle blast, that means you might have been too close to the chrono.

A.T.

I had a similar problem, it was very cloudy and a light rain. I went back the next day and the results were much better. As far as muzzle blast, that means you might have been too close to the chrono.

A.T.

The skies were clear. Maybe I should back up further? Around 20 feet or so just to see if I'll get consistent readings?

If shooting in the shade doesn't prove to be better, check for bullet set back. Either try to push the bullet into the case by pushing against a bench or chamber it a couple of times and then measure OAL. 5.7 of WST should be PLENTY for major.

Edited by mscott

A.T.

The skies were clear. Maybe I should back up further? Around 20 feet or so just to see if I'll get consistent readings?

IMO, 20 feet is too far.

A.T.

IMO, 20 feet is too far.

A.T.

I just want to be sure the chrono can take consistent readings. So from the muzzle to the first fork of the chrono, you'd suggest around 12-14 feet?

Edited by Will_M

IMO, 20 feet is too far.

A.T.

I just want to be sure the chrono can take consistent readings. So from the muzzle to the first fork of the chrono, you'd suggest around 12-14 feet?

Yes, 12-14' is fine. By muzzle blast I mean the particles in the blast that may reach the sensor and be recorded before the bullet. The bullet passes over the sensor AFTER the blast recording causing bad readings.

Jim

IMO, 20 feet is too far.

A.T.

Yes, 12-14' is fine. By muzzle blast I mean the particles in the blast that may reach the sensor and be recorded before the bullet. The bullet passes over the sensor AFTER the blast recording causing bad readings.

Jim

+1

I've had good luck using a Chrony at 15ft.

Even bullet setback isn't likely to cause 100fps difference in actual velocity. One time we set up my Chrony in front of my friend's CED and the two units were within 10fps of one another....consistently with several different guns and loads. If I remember the CED was 10fps lower, but there's no way to know which unit was actually "right". The fact that the difference stayed consistent tells me both units were probably very close to the real velocity.

The other thing that can cause huge swings like that is direct light glaring on one of the sensors. In the shade on a bright day works well, overcast, but light days work the best and if you can't get either of the above, use some cardboard on the sides of the skyscreens to keep direct light off the sensors. If the sun is high a target turned upside down (white side facing sensors) on top of the screens will also help a lot. R,

I use my Shooting Chrony at about 15 feet as well and have good results. One trick I've learned is to place a new target with the white side down on top of the screen support rods rather than use the screens. This seems to provide a much better and more consistent background for the sensors. The other procedure I follow is to place a bulls-eye target a couple of feet behind the chrono. I position the bulls-eye right where I want the round to go. For me that is between 4 and 6 inches above the sensor. This gives me the ability to put all rounds over the sensors at the same height within about a half inch either way. I'm just trying to reduce all the other variables.

Edited by XD Niner

A while back I had some significant velocity variations with .38 Super. I tried a bunch of stuff but nothing helped. Finally I figured out that some of the brass I was using was so thin that it wouldn't hold the bullet in place. I think when it fed into the gun, it pressed the bullet back onto the powder, and the lower volume in the casing increased the pressure.

UPDATE:

I put my chrono in the shade, paced off 14 feet, fired the exact same load and voila! The results speak for themselves.

String #1:

#1: 1023 fps

#2: 1020 fps

#3: 995.5 fps

#4: 1009 fps

#5: 991.7 fps

#6: 1002 fps

There was still the extreme spread of 32fps. But I consider that acceptable.

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen! I had no idea having the chrono out in the direct sunlight would have such a dramatic effect.

Edited by Will_M

Attended a Steel Match last month where a number of Master shooters were using 9mm ,

3.8gr Solo 1250 with 160 gr Molly RN bullets, OAL 1.70(on Lands) and making power factor

with very mild recoil.

I was impressed with preformace from these 9mm on steel popers that had to be knocked down

before other targets would be presented.

I tried this same load and found that barrel jump was minium ,but tight crimps seemed important

in order to make consistant PF numbers?