Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

does anyone make a trimmer for 38 super to

Sean Gaines

You can buy a lot of new brass for the money.

http://www.overbeckmachine.com/index.htm

yeah. lol, I was wondering if they had some sort of dremel attachment, that you could hook up to a reloader and just trim, and just put a case in and pull the handle.

Or even like a pencil sharpner type idea where you just stick it in and it cuts it the way you want it.

I have a ton of 38 super brass, and would like to convert it to comp, does someone make a trimmer to trim the rim of the brass?

For not too much money, you could have your slide's breach face machined to take the Super brass. I have a Rusty Kidd built Open gun that is setup with a Super breach face, and chambered in 9x23. I can shoot Super, Super Comp or 9x23 brass without a single problem. I hate it when I am loading Supercomp, and a Super case jams into the shell plate, so I now use the 9mm plate instead (Dillon #5 instead of the #3). Then just use the SuperComp (or 9x23 for me) sizing die.

Mark K.

Normally, I sort out the Super and give it to my friends that shot only Super, and they give me the SC that they pickup.

Mark - I trade all the Super +P etc to other shooters for their Super Comps that only choke their guns.

I use Dykem in Blue on all my brass makes it easy to find, really shows up good in someone elses hands.

The 38 Super will sell good in the classifieds, sell it and get some Comp or TJ from Starline.

I have a StarLine $50 cert if you want it for $35 I will mail it to you. Other wise it isn't for sale.

I have a ton of 38 super brass, and would like to convert it to comp, does someone make a trimmer to trim the rim of the brass?

Not that it's a big deal, but even if you could trim the semi-rim down to Supercomp specs, the brass still wouldn't be as strong. Supercomp is thicker in the web (where it matters most). The good thing is that it slightly decreases the case volume of the SC brass compared with Super so you'll use a couple of tenths less powder to get the same velocity....which, over time, would pay for some brass.

Mark - I trade all the Super +P etc to other shooters for their Super Comps that only choke their guns.

I use Dykem in Blue on all my brass makes it easy to find, really shows up good in someone elses hands.

The 38 Super will sell good in the classifieds, sell it and get some Comp or TJ from Starline.

I have a StarLine $50 cert if you want it for $35 I will mail it to you. Other wise it isn't for sale.

Ron,

I appreciate the offer, but I have almost 4K of 9x23/38SC, and since I mostly shoot limited, I am good. It seems I pick up some each match, even when I am shooting Limited.

Do you use the spray Dykem? Have you used the Red Dykem? Does it leave any residue in the chamber? I have considered using it for a while.

Mark

Good luck buying brass from Starline. Have you checked the website lately?

I shoot 9x23 exclusively. When I went to Sydney to shoot the AP world match I needed ammo for practice. I knew I couldn't get 9x23 brass so I tuned an extractor for super. When I got there I loaded some super and changed the extractor for practice and changed back to shoot the match with my ammo. Worked like a charm.

Good luck buying brass from Starline. Have you checked the website lately?

I shoot 9x23 exclusively. When I went to Sydney to shoot the AP world match I needed ammo for practice. I knew I couldn't get 9x23 brass so I tuned an extractor for super. When I got there I loaded some super and changed the extractor for practice and changed back to shoot the match with my ammo. Worked like a charm.

Wow!! When did that happen? Everything useful is on backorder.

Mark I use the Blue Dykem. Everybody and their brother is using the red. I have a 2x6 which I drilled 100 holes in, rounds are placed in the holes with primers up. I spray them lightly with CR Brake Cleaner to get any oil or polish off. If I am in a hurry I wipe them with a clean rag. Then I just shoot (spray) them with the Blue Dykem let them dry for a couple minutes and put them in a Dillion ammo case. Remember keep it light just enough to color them, your not painting a car.

I have had no issue with any residue in the chamber. You do get a little on the breach face but you normally clean that any way. I shoot a little CLP in the firing pin and extractor (aftec) at each cleaning. I clean my guns BEFORE each match. Both my open guns run 100% with the dykem. Don Hardy GM, uses it and he also sprays his bullets with a dry lube before loading them in the mags.

Drilling the holes I used my drill press to get uniform depth.

A lot of shooters wipe the primers down with brake cleaner to get the Dykem off, I started out doing this and then a long time user of dykem told me not to bother so I don't.

Bottom line it makes brass much easier to find and other folks know its yours so my brass retrieval rate went to near 100%. Things got perfect when I bought a Nut Picker, I just roll it up. When everyone is moving to the next stage I roll up everything that is left behind. The bad thing is the range bag just gets heavier all day.

Backorder or no ETA. Mine is listed under No ETA which means every case is found after shooting.

I haven't been able to get brass for a year so it's been a while.

Yeah, I noticed. I bought my first new 9x23 brass (2K) sometime early in the year. I have been looking every now and again, and the eta keeps changing. One month further out each month.

Mark K

Mark I use the Blue Dykem. Everybody and their brother is using the red. I have a 2x6 which I drilled 100 holes in, rounds are placed in the holes with primers up. I spray them lightly with CR Brake Cleaner to get any oil or polish off. If I am in a hurry I wipe them with a clean rag. Then I just shoot (spray) them with the Blue Dykem let them dry for a couple minutes and put them in a Dillion ammo case. Remember keep it light just enough to color them, your not painting a car.

I have had no issue with any residue in the chamber. You do get a little on the breach face but you normally clean that any way. I shoot a little CLP in the firing pin and extractor (aftec) at each cleaning. I clean my guns BEFORE each match. Both my open guns run 100% with the dykem. Don Hardy GM, uses it and he also sprays his bullets with a dry lube before loading them in the mags.

Drilling the holes I used my drill press to get uniform depth.

A lot of shooters wipe the primers down with brake cleaner to get the Dykem off, I started out doing this and then a long time user of dykem told me not to bother so I don't.

Bottom line it makes brass much easier to find and other folks know its yours so my brass retrieval rate went to near 100%. Things got perfect when I bought a Nut Picker, I just roll it up. When everyone is moving to the next stage I roll up everything that is left behind. The bad thing is the range bag just gets heavier all day.

Thanks for the info/tutorial, Ron.

Mark K.

You could just sell the 38 Super and buy SC brass. Or...get a gun that shoots 38 Super.

Rich

Easier yet, just get a 38 Super extractor for the current gun.