Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Grip Mod

BrianATL

I had an STI grip that had been thinned a little to much and was having a hard time getting mags to drop free. The grip was collapsing when trying to perform a reload. 00bullitt has performed some kind of magic on the grip and it works perfectly now. Not sure exactly what he did but it looks and feels great.

post-5567-1251935983_thumb.jpg

post-5567-1251936023_thumb.jpg

post-5567-1251936034_thumb.jpg

Yep....used a 7 minute epoxy made for plastics and painted a decent layer on with an acid brush and then submerged the grip in Black Beauty blasting media. It added enough stiffness back into the thin grip to stop it from trapping(via crushing)mags and its still slimmer than a factory STI grip.

Also feels great when shooting. It really allows you to get a hold on the gun.

Any idea how long the media will stay on the grip? I guess what I am asking is, does it wear well? Thanks..

I've been shooting my Limted gun every weekend for the past two and a half months and one day a week since I have done this and there is no noticable wear yet.

I've tried it on other surfaces as well and it seems to be pretty durable and long wearing.

Any idea how long the media will stay on the grip? I guess what I am asking is, does it wear well? Thanks..

I've been shooting my Limted gun every weekend for the past two and a half months and one day a week since I have done this and there is no noticable wear yet.

I've tried it on other surfaces as well and it seems to be pretty durable and long wearing.

Is it washable, I mean after a couple of months, you've got dead skin cells all over the grip. Can it be washed off without removing the material? I have seen some sv grips that just make the gun look horrible after a year or so. How would you remove the material and reaply? would you like sand it??? I like the grip its just concerns me that once I do this and it starts wearing off, is it going to be too much trouble to fix it back. Seems like regular sandpaper grip would be easier.

It cleans up rather easily. Hot water and a nail brush works fine. I swab mine with cotton gun patches soaked with 90% alcohol and blow clean with air.

As for removal. It will come off. I use a small screwdriver to pry up under the edge and it starts to tear off in small 1/4" pieces. Kinda tedious but you can get it off if need be.

I just did a couple M&P backstraps with it. Really feels and looks good.