Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap Rossi 357

bikerburgess

I have been playing with the idea of trying out the revolver division but don't want to invest a bunch of money before I know I like it. So I saw a nice condition Rossi 357 at the shop for a good price and my main concern was would a Rossi hold up to uspsa duty long enough to figure out if I like the devision enough to upgrade equipment? I know there are better guns out there but I am on a tight budget.

What are you going to do with the Rossi if you decide to upgrade? No one will be interested in buying it, so you'll have to eat the cost.

What are you going to do with the Rossi if you don't like revolver division? No one will be interested in buying it, so you'll have to eat the cost.

Borrow if you can.

Buy something with resale value if you're not sure you want to keep it. Of course, if it has some resale value, it won't be necessary to upgrade if you like revolver division.

I have a .357 Rossi that I use as a "truck gun", and carried it for a few years before going to a lighter setup. The only problem I had was that the rear sight blade is made of plastic and the first time it took a hard lick, it broke. I had an old S&W rear that fits nicely and put that on.

The gun will definitely hold up for your needs until you decide to upgrade. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's "cheap". The rear sight blade is the only weakness in that gun.

Alan~^~

Thanks Alan that is what I was looking for

Jeff the gun I was looking at is allready under $300 so it can't lose too much value unless it totaly fell apart. But I do get what you are saying and I realy want a 610 smith (I have a 10mm problem) but I am way short on funds for that

thanks for the quick replies

For under $300, I'd get one of these. You'd be coming out ahead in the long run. Anything less than a 610 or 625 is going to be realistically uncompetitive, but this is ideal should you decide to take up IDPA SSR, and there a many, many, more parts for S&Ws and smiths who'll work on them. If you do decide to sell it, you'll have no problem recouping your small investment.

I've got no reason to think there's anything wrong with a Rossi, I just think ultimately you'd be better off with a Smith. Also, if you shoot matches with S&Ws this year, you've got a chance at winning a free one.

Edit to add: The ones in the link are the cheapest, they do have some that are in better shape for a bit more.

Edited by Revopop

I have one that's just like that except with a 3-inch tube. It's had a little bit of smoothing from Carmoney as well, it's one of my favorite revolvers.

You can't go wrong with a k-frame. At $219 that's a smokin' deal for a stainless smith if its not shot loose.

buy an old smith&wesson or buy the Rossi. the new smiths dont seem to be holding up well either. Give it a try, you never know. I know of a guy who shot Astra s for many years at the top of the revolver game for many years. Smiths not the only choice.

Scott