Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fit of VTAC Handguard

DoNoHarm

I've got a real newbie question for Henning or the gang here at the Tanfo Store:

I got a rifle length VTAC handguard from the Store and as this was my first AR 'build' I had the folks at Compass Lake mount the handguard to the upper receiver when they completed the barrel. The rifle functions perfectly, but there's about an 1/8th gap between the handguard and the receiver, I was told that this is how it goes and is required for it to be free-float.

This is a minor cosmetic nit, but the gap bugs me, so thought I'd throw it out there and see what you guys thought. If that's how it goes, then I'll suck it up. . .the rifle is sweet otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

pic below:

post-16180-1251587931_thumb.jpg

I've got a real newbie question for Henning or the gang here at the Tanfo Store:

I got a rifle length VTAC handguard from the Store and as this was my first AR 'build' I had the folks at Compass Lake mount the handguard to the upper receiver when they completed the barrel. The rifle functions perfectly, but there's about an 1/8th gap between the handguard and the receiver, I was told that this is how it goes and is required for it to be free-float.

This is a minor cosmetic nit, but the gap bugs me, so thought I'd throw it out there and see what you guys thought. If that's how it goes, then I'll suck it up. . .the rifle is sweet otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

pic below:

post-16180-1251587931_thumb.jpg

I can't say that everyone is like this, but everything I have taken a really close look at it. A lot of long barrel nut free floats have a similar space, YHM and even my from the factory Sabre. It seems more evident on the VTAC, I think, because the 12 o'clock position is a lot closer to the plane of the uppers rail. Hope this helps.

Lee

This was discussed in another thread, but I'll give you two solutions.

1 - Since you're going to Red Loctite it in place, it WILL stay put once the setup time is done and this will be a non-issue other than esthetics.

2 - If you find someone with a mill, you can machine the back of the handguard mount 'til it clocks pretty darn close to TDC and then lock it in place with Red Loctite.

Both work and are easy to do.

Rich

ETA: If you're going to put it on, don't forget to put the dustcover on FIRST. I learned that this would be a problem on my current rifle when assembling, but wasn't planning on putting the cover on anyways.

Edited by uscbigdawg

This was discussed in another thread, but I'll give you two solutions.

1 - Since you're going to Red Loctite it in place, it WILL stay put once the setup time is done and this will be a non-issue other than esthetics.

2 - If you find someone with a mill, you can machine the back of the handguard mount 'til it clocks pretty darn close to TDC and then lock it in place with Red Loctite.

Both work and are easy to do.

Rich

ETA: If you're going to put it on, don't forget to put the dustcover on FIRST. I learned that this would be a problem on my current rifle when assembling, but wasn't planning on putting the cover on anyways.

Thanks for responding, the mill idea sounds good, I'll look into it. What does 'TDC' stand for?

Looks like you can make it another turn on that one. If it doesn't complete end up at 12 o'clock, then file the back of the aluminum nut until it fits. I don't like those gaps either. It all depends on how the receiver/nut lines up and if you want that perfect fit, just file, sand or machine off until it's perfect. No harm done. It doesn't affect anything else, that's bullshit.