Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Briefings or safety briefings?

Flexmoney

We have a new competitors handbook that one of our folks, with input from all section match directors, put together and all clubs use.

We are attempting to standardize what is being told so that a consistent message is given from club to club.

Our "Section Information Officer" received input from the trainers at the clubs and put together all the best points taught by them. Frankly it is more a repetition of what we should be teaching without the ad libs that get picked up over the years. Updated and modified to address new rules and the like. He did a fine job.

Downside is that new competitors don't all start at one time, but we have an informal 'buddy system" where we can get new shooters to someone who can help them. This is where the USPSA Request for information emails come in handy. I receive them, check the address for proximity to clubs, then forward my reply and a cc to the interested party and the MD. Those who are interested respond and follow up with us (as we do with them). Those that do not we never hear from again.

I'm considering a tickler file to contact those who send in requests once a month to see if they are still interested. I should survey to see why they don't come out or come back.

As for Flex's question on match briefings, I used a handout that George Jones gave at an Area 8 in Topton a few years ago. Updated it and used it when I served as Range Master for our Sectional. Why re-invent the wheel? USPSA should have a stock briefing that is available to all to use. Again, helps with that consistent message and reinforces what needs reinforced.

Edited by vluc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think you may have missed the point. There are multiple briefings that occur at a well run match. There is generally the match briefing which covers various administrivia like squadding, lunch, tear down, stage turnover (if that is happening) and so on. Then there is the safety briefing which generally is only for new shooters or, for some clubs, new to that club shooters. And then there is the Walk-Thru aka: Written Stage Briefing (WSB).

This discussion was, I believe, about the safety briefing.

I personally find it disturbing that at many matches shooters are not paying attention (or do not attend) the match/shooters briefing. This puts a bigger load on the RO staff because they have to constantly repeat things that were covered during the match briefing.

Of course since these same folks almost never pay attention during the WSB the ROs get to repeat all that info again too. But that particular rant is for a different place.