Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P R8 .357 5" 8RD Black PFMCTR?

tazdevils610

tazdevils610, while I am not as familiar with the S&W M&P R8 .357, I have seen a few in the hands of competent shooters and they have done well. I am not sure if they come cut for moonclips from the factory or not. While now I have a 627 super and a 8 shot S&W moutain gun, if the opportunity arises that I can get a M& P R8 resonable enough I would like to try it. My opinion. late rdd

I think they weigh in the neighborhood of 34-35 oz. Though they will recoil more than a heavier all steel gun, a 120-ish PF .38 round still isn't going to generate that much more recoil. And the lighter weight would probably transition better than a heavier gun.

I'm seriously considering trying one out next year. They are in fact factory cut for moons.

Edited by Rather-B-Huntin

I've been using an iron sighted 327 TRR8 for Steel Challenge type matches the past couple years with very good success. (1st iron rev at 2008 challenge, VA regional, NJ regional, PA state steel). The light weight of the gun makes for a very quick draw and makes it easier to swing from target to target as compared to a steel gun.

For an ICORE gun, I still very much prefer an all steel 627 as it handles recoil much better. The 327 is a light gun and even minor power factor ammo has a bit of a kick. My Icore load is about 127pf while my challenge load is only 100 pf or so.

This is just my opinion of course. I've seen Miculek using a 327 as well but the last time I saw him shooting steel at the US Steel Nationals he was running a 627 chambered in 38 super.....

I have shot the 327 PC JM version which is similar to the 327R8 except it weighs less since it has a titanium cylinder. With heavy loads the recoil difference between it and a 627 are very noticeable. With the mild loads used for ICORE and steel challenge one does not feel a significant change in recoil. I was surprised that it came back on target a bit faster than my 627 with the same loads.

Edited by TonyT

I tried one for steel challenge with a C-more on it. With standard velocity 38 special loads (100 ish P.F.) it was soft and transitioned as well as my limited skills allowed. I do not think you would be a disadvantage equipment wise to other revolver shooters depending on the quality of the action job. I did have some difficulty later in the match when the man on man changed to falling steel but that was a load issue and not a gun issue. If you have one already then no harm it trying it out, you might like it. Unfortunately my opinion carries little weight as I am just a beginning revolver enthusiast.

Good luck!

I am shooting the 327 with the Tii cylinder for steel. It is the best gun I have ever used for steel. It is packed to fly to Cali in the morning.

For ICORE I prefer the all steel guns.

To answer your question.

For steel, YES for ICORE, probably not.