Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ooops, screwed up my 9mm load

claybrdr

Just converted my 650 back to 9X19 from 223 and for some dumb ass reason set the powder measure for 5.4 gr Bullseye instead of 4.7 with the 124 gr Zero bullet. I loaded about 250 before my brain clicked back on.....Think I can shoot these OK in my Bushy 9mm AR-15? I know they will be too hot for my STI Stinger. What say you? :angry2:

Hmm, that depends. I don't have any experience with bullseye but I've run 9mm major ammo thru my 9mm rifle with no problems. 124 gr. bullets over heavy loads of silloette and WAP. Recoil was stout but the gun ran without a hitch. Again, the fast burning nature of bullseye may make that load more dangerous than something slower like the powders I mentioned.

If that load is more than a couple tenths over max....I'd be weary about running fast powders much over max. Slower powders are much more foregiving.

But I have run 9mm major ammo through my subguns without a problem.

Overcharged fast powders can easily blow the gun up in your hands. Overcharged slow powders most of the time will just overwork the crap out of it.

The oldest manual I have is from 1980/ Hornady Handbook, Third Edition. Usually the older books have higher charges listed and this one says the max load for that bullet is 4.4/Bullseye for 1100 fps in a 4" bbl. I'd NOT shoot that load in anything that was hand-held, but that's just me. :unsure:

Alan~^~

Just converted my 650 back to 9X19 from 223 and for some dumb ass reason set the powder measure for 5.4 gr Bullseye instead of 4.7 with the 124 gr Zero bullet. I loaded about 250 before my brain clicked back on.....Think I can shoot these OK in my Bushy 9mm AR-15? I know they will be too hot for my STI Stinger. What say you? :angry2:

The printed Alliant Reloaders 2005 Edition lists 4.9 gr. Bullseye as a maximum load with either lead or jacketed bullets at ca 32000 to 33000 psi. I would pull the bullets.

I chronographed some of the 124 grainers today and they averaged 1,354 thru the AR15 for a PF of 167,896. Not quite Major 9 even in an 18" barrel. Some 115 gr Zeros with the same 5.4 load went 1,380 in the AR for a PF of 158,700

Suspect the 124s would make a PF around 160,000 in my 3.9" barreled STI Stinger but I won't risk it.