Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transistion from SS to LIM

John2A

Ok Here is my question? Does any one have a good drill or pratice they did when they changed from SS, Prod, Lim 10 to Lim or Open?

This weekend was my first match back with a Lim gun that holds 19 - 20 rounds. I had a couple of stages that as soon as I moved I was dropping a mag with 11 - 12 rounds in it to make a reload. I have been shooting SS for about the last year and when you move you are reloading. There has to be a drill out there some where that some one does that gets them back in the mind set of a Lim shooter. I had a good stage plan and I thought I had it visualized that reload here. But I even found during my walk throughs that I was reloading when transitioning from position to position. With a lot of dry fire practice I finally have trained my body to go to the correct mag location for # 1 mag but not sure what to do about the reloading problems any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Ok Here is my question? Does any one have a good drill or pratice they did when they changed from SS, Prod, Lim 10 to Lim or Open?

This weekend was my first match back with a Lim gun that holds 19 - 20 rounds. I had a couple of stages that as soon as I moved I was dropping a mag with 11 - 12 rounds in it to make a reload. I have been shooting SS for about the last year and when you move you are reloading. There has to be a drill out there some where that some one does that gets them back in the mind set of a Lim shooter. I had a good stage plan and I thought I had it visualized that reload here. But I even found during my walk throughs that I was reloading when transitioning from position to position. With a lot of dry fire practice I finally have trained my body to go to the correct mag location for # 1 mag but not sure what to do about the reloading problems any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

I've said this a lot lately RELAX. Plan a reload spot in limited and focus on the shooting until you get to that spot.

I shot L-10 for a couple of years before switching to Limited and I remember your problem very well. I now have the same problem (not reloading) switching to Limited from Open. All I can say is a couple of matches and the urge will go away.... :surprise:

One thing that I did notice is that when I walked the stage and had a good plan that I could run in my head I did have less tendencies to want to drop a mag when moving. I truly was not blasting away shot most of the stages the same I would have with a SS but I have to get out of the habit of counting 8 then 8 then 8 I need to start breaking down the stage in chunks again once I have all the targets accounted for. So no drills or anything that will help with this other than just developing a solid game plan and sticking to it?

One thing that I did notice is that when I walked the stage and had a good plan that I could run in my head I did have less tendencies to want to drop a mag when moving. I truly was not blasting away shot most of the stages the same I would have with a SS but I have to get out of the habit of counting 8 then 8 then 8 I need to start breaking down the stage in chunks again once I have all the targets accounted for. So no drills or anything that will help with this other than just developing a solid game plan and sticking to it?

You make a plan for SS right...you said 8, 8, 8, etc. In limited its the same thing....16 reload, 18 relod, etc. One thing to keep in mind, when I go from shooting SS to Limited my hits tend to be awesome due to the fact that you can't miss in SS. Use the same mind set. See you sights and get your hits just get moving instead of reloading.

You make a plan for SS right...you said 8, 8, 8, etc. In limited its the same thing....16 reload, 18 relod, etc. One thing to keep in mind, when I go from shooting SS to Limited my hits tend to be awesome due to the fact that you can't miss in SS. Use the same mind set. See you sights and get your hits just get moving instead of reloading.

True

+1 again

K I will give my walk through more importance going forward.

Yeah my points were great and it was nice not having to worry about make up shots.

One guy told me who does not give complements that was the best I have ever shot a plate rack.

I have to admitt that all I saw was the site hit each plate and then bang.

It was my best run of the day and like hitting the fairway of the 18th hole after a misserable round.

Made everything else go away. Also shot a Texas Star 5-5 first time ever.

Guess shooting SS did help me focus better on getting my hits.

If I ever get sloppy I am going to go back for a month or so.