Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 load help?

So--decided to give icore a try with my 5" 625. Going to work up a load with a little less

power than my 172PF regular load.

Have:

185 Berry's HBRN

230 Bear Creek Moly Rn

Titegroup

Solo 1000

Clays

N310

N320

And a few other powders

Load suggestions?

Well--I tried the Bear Creek 230 Moly with some Clays.

3.4 got a 143 PF

3.2 was around 138

3.0 got it down to 132 with good accuracy.

Will a 550 even meter 2.6 grains of clays?? :roflol:

Amazing how loads feel different in a revolver! I run 4.1 clays with the 230 sometimes in Single Stack. Feels

nice and soft out of a 5" 1911.

3.0 with the same bullet feels a little snappy out of the revolver. Must be the higher bore line.

I think I'll try 3.8 clays with the 185 HBRN next. Tried it with 4.0 Solo 1000 and the accuracy was GONE.

Well--I tried the Bear Creek 230 Moly with some Clays.

3.4 got a 143 PF

3.2 was around 138

3.0 got it down to 132 with good accuracy.

Will a 550 even meter 2.6 grains of clays?? :roflol:

Amazing how loads feel different in a revolver! I run 4.1 clays with the 230 sometimes in Single Stack. Feels

nice and soft out of a 5" 1911.

3.0 with the same bullet feels a little snappy out of the revolver. Must be the higher bore line.

I think I'll try 3.8 clays with the 185 HBRN next. Tried it with 4.0 Solo 1000 and the accuracy was GONE.

open17, as you have some VVN320 you might want to try about 5,2 grains behind a 185 HBRN. It should give you about 130 pf. And Yes Clays will meter at least down to 2.5 grains. It gave me 122 pf behind a 160 graind Billy Bullet in a 38 super case. :unsure: Later rdd

If you expect shots to stay under 25 yds. the 185 HB will do fine, anything under 4.5 Clays would yield inconsistent velocities.

The trouble with the HB 185's is over 25 yds. they become unstable and groups open up considerably. It has to do with the center of balance of the bullet, seems to act like a badmitton birdie, as they slow down they will wobble. I noticed the same thing with some old 155 lead HBSWC's back in the 1980's.

The trouble with 230 lead bullets at the velocities needed to be competitive ICORE loads is they seem real dirty and can gum up the reloads.

Maybe try the 200 Ranier RN's at 700 f/s or so.

• 1 month later...

Hey open17,

I made up a bunch of different loads to get a lower power factor for ICORE. I'm using home cast 230 LRN cast from plain old wheelweights and used Clays and Bullseye. The best for accuracy that I got was 3.5 grs. of Bullseye at 563 FPS and a power factor of 129.5. As others have said, going too low will leave unburned powder, and I did have some, but it did not seem to be a problem in the cylinders. I'm going to try the Postal Match this weekend and see how they do. Hope this helps a little.