Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide falling on my singlestack

Jody Waring

I am just venturing into the 1911 world with most of my shooting ever done with Tanfoglio's and CZ's. My single stack .45 will drop the slide when I seat a loaded magazine. No matter how hard I seat an empty magazine, it won't drop the slide. So I am assuming the bullet may be touching the "stud" portion of the slidestop that protrudes into the frame? and then unlocking the slide. With the slide locked back, and then looking into the ejection port it's hard to tell what is going on when I insert a mag. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to modify my slidestop, or what I have to do to eliminate this. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

I am just venturing into the 1911 world with most of my shooting ever done with Tanfoglio's and CZ's. My single stack .45 will drop the slide when I seat a loaded magazine. No matter how hard I seat an empty magazine, it won't drop the slide. So I am assuming the bullet may be touching the "stud" portion of the slidestop that protrudes into the frame? and then unlocking the slide. With the slide locked back, and then looking into the ejection port it's hard to tell what is going on when I insert a mag. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to modify my slidestop, or what I have to do to eliminate this. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

Jody.. I think "most" would consider this a huge plus rather than something to be fixed. A lot of shooters mod the slide stop to get it to where it does exactly what you are relating to us. Saves time on the reload for sure..... If you don't like it I would certainly recommend that you save that slidestop and buy a new one rather than "fix" the one you have right now. IMO there is no real downside to it dropping on a full magazine as long as it picks up and seats a bullet properly.

Most would be happy to have what you are concerned about. :)

IMO there is no real downside to it dropping on a full magazine as long as it picks up and seats a bullet properly.

That's the problem.....they don't always strip a round when they auto-forward. Some guns might never have that problem and some randomly seem to fail to strip a round...I'd rather not find out about the later in the middle of a stage!

Personally, I don't want a gun doing anything I don't make it do and there might be times when you'd like to lock the slide back, insert a mag, but not have the slide go forward.

For the OP, there are two things you can do. One, take the slide off the gun, put the slide stop back in and you'll be able to see the geometry between the mag, loaded ammo and the slide stop. Two, put a dimple in the slide stop face where the plunger tube contacts it. That would keep the slide stop from either releasing early or locking back when it shouldn't (which is normally the problem that occurs when the bullet bumps the inside of the slide stop). R,

Thanks for the replies guys, it really isn't a "problem" to me so to speak. I let a fellow try it at the club this week, and it startled the hell out of him when the slide dropped while he was loading the gun. For me I guess it's not that big of a deal, and I know it is going to happen. Merlin, I think I will do just that, a nearby business is the Canadian STI distributor, and I'll drop him a note and pick one up, and save this one. I am really having fun with this gun, it is alot of fun to shoot, and a tackdriver to boot. I'll post again when I try a new stop.

Jody,

A simple check you can do is to take the slide off the frame, insert the slidestop back into the frame, then insert a loaded mag. You should be able to see how close the loaded rounds actually come to the slidestop. After doing this check you can file/polish the inside surface of the slidestop where it makes contact with your ammo. Nothing real tricky here just give yourself a little room. Of course you might want to check your overall length before grinding on parts....

Good luck,,,

I am going to give this another look tomorrow. Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it. Benny as a top notch gunsmith yourself, is there a specific brand you prefer to use in your guns you build over another?

• 1 month later...

My SS rig does this also. . . . about 95% of the time.

When you have to have a slide lock re-load its a real time saver.

Never had a problem with any other components such as fire control following with it either- that would be a problem!

Let it ride down and keep your finger off the trigger and you are good to go.

One thing that it good to check also is that the feed lips of the magazine are hitting the bottom of the ejector- always good to check

A new slide stop is a good way to go. Measure your pin diameter. If your gun is Pro built, you might have to match the diameter. Most of the good replacements are on the high end of the specs. EGWs run about .1995". Watch on the dimpling, it's a good idea, but it doesn't take much of a dimple. Too deep and it will be like pinned.

Went to a gunshow recently hoping I might come across some parts but found nothing. I will order one from the the Canadian STI distributor here, he has lots of stuff in stock. To be honest, it startles me everytime it happens, and it really makes me focus on where my trigger finger is that's for sure. I might even order from EGW, I could measure the current one, and maybe they could match up one of theirs for me. Thanks for the input guys :cheers: