Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 versus Saiga 12

capdek

I've been shooting USPSA pistol matches for a number of years now, but I think I would like to try 3-gun IPSC.

I have a POF P415 CQB .223 rifle and 5 30-round PMAGS that I think will work out quite well for a rifle.

I also have a Benelli M2 with an 18.5" barrel and a Nordic Components +5 extension tube (so 8 in the tube + 1 in the chamber). No doubt about it - this is a nice shotgun! I've got $1200 or so invested in this gun, but I have not been able to find speed-loaders for it.

Question: Does anyone know where I could find speed-loaders for the M2?

I can now pick up a new Saiga 12 for $500, then spend $? to get it upgraded for 3-gun IPSC. R & R Racing in Salem, OR will do a top-end Saiga 12 limited upgrade for $1300. I'm pretty sure that's on the high-end as far as price goes, but assuming I did that, I'd have a finely-tuned Saiga 12 with a 10-round mag for $1850.

In my opinion, my M2 is a much better shotgun than a stock Saiga 12, but without speed-loaders, I think I'll be seriously disadvantaged in 3-gun matches.

I'm thinking an upgraded Saiga 12 would be a much better configuration for 3-gun IPSC, but I'd have to fork out up to $650 more to make the switch.

Question: Would you keep the M2 in its current configuration, or sell it, get the Saiga 12 and spend the bucks to upgrade it for 3-gun?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

DEK

I've been shooting USPSA pistol matches for a number of years now, but I think I would like to try 3-gun IPSC.

I have a POF P415 CQB .223 rifle and 5 30-round PMAGS that I think will work out quite well for a rifle.

I also have a Benelli M2 with an 18.5" barrel and a Nordic Components +5 extension tube (so 8 in the tube + 1 in the chamber). No doubt about it - this is a nice shotgun! I've got $1200 or so invested in this gun, but I have not been able to find speed-loaders for it.

I can now pick up a new Saiga 12 for $500, then spend $? to get it upgraded for 3-gun IPSC. R & R Racing in Salem, OR will do a top-end Saiga 12 limited upgrade for $1300. I'm pretty sure that's on the high-end as far as price goes, but assuming I did that, I'd have a finely-tuned Saiga 12 with a 10-round mag for $1850.

In my opinion, my M2 is a much better shotgun than a stock Saiga 12, but without speed-loaders, I think I'll be seriously disadvantaged in 3-gun matches.

I'm thinking an upgraded Saiga 12 would be a much better configuration for 3-gun IPSC, but I'd have to fork out up to $650 more to make the switch.

Question: Would you keep the M2 in its current configuration, or sell it, get the Saiga 12 and spend the bucks to upgrade it for 3-gun?

DEK

I think you should go the Saiga route and sell me that old used M2 for $800.

DEK

I think you should go the Saiga route and sell me that old used M2 for $800.

OK :wacko:

But seriously, I get your drift!

Are there speed-loaders available for the M2? I've only seen ones listed for the M1/M3/M4.

I'm assuming since you're considering the Saiga, you shoot open pistol? Search this forum and the 3 gun Accessory forum for Tech-Loaders.

Now, if you don't shoot open pistol, ditch the idea of the Saiga and stick w/ your M2 and work on loading. :)

I'm assuming since you're considering the Saiga, you shoot open pistol? Search this forum and the 3 gun Accessory forum for Tech-Loaders.

Now, if you don't shoot open pistol, ditch the idea of the Saiga and stick w/ your M2 and work on loading. :)

Thanks for the advice!

Open pistol is probably the least advantage in 3 gun of all the open guns. The functional difference between a tac scope rifle and open rifle is also minimal much of the time. I think you can be successful with an open shotgun, an open or tac-scope rifle, and a tactical pistol. In any case, using the Saiga-12 is a lot more fun to me.

I'd stick with the M2... sounds like you've got it tweaked just right for 3-gun Tactical already. If you decide later that you want to try Open class, then you can always add a Saiga (and an open pistol, if you don't already have one) to your arsenal later. :cheers: