Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI Small Magnum Rifle Primers CCI 450's

bkeeler

I did a search but nothing mentioned about Small rifle magnum primers.

Can CCI small rifle magnum primers be used in 40 major loads with out problems?

If not in 40 how about 9 major?

I know that small rifle maybe used but I don't know about the small rifle magnums really did not realize CCI had both.

I picked up 1000 today and did not realize they where magnum rifle primers until I got home. <_< . I saw primers and went a little loopy I guess.

Thanks,

BK

Edited by bkeeler

Hello, Bruce.

If it were me, I would throw them in there and use them.

For my 40 major loads, I use 5.3 gr Unique for a power factor of 169-172 (depends on whose chrono they go over). I'm nowhere near max, 5.8 gr, so I wouldn't think the extra oomph from the magnum primers would make much difference.

I would probably load 20 or so and check them out before I loaded the whole thousand, just to be sure the load was comfortable to shoot.

I have already tried regular small rifle primers in my 40 major loads, just to see if they'll work, and didn't notice any difference.

Good shootin'

John B

I guess I will try them out. I got word from another reliable source that they probably would be ok 1000 or so won't hurt anything (given no pressure signs). I will check and see if velocity is the same as my other loads and check for any pressure signs. I just did not won't to mess with my loads but when primers are hard to find what else can you do.(I have 5000 small pistol on order)

Thanks for the input,

BK

Edited by bkeeler

I would be concerned if they were Max loads but if you loaded with known Major, it should be Okay to use Magnum primers. The rifle part is no problem, just takes a bit harder hit to ignite. Just check the primer after the first shot for over pressure signs...

Edited by kamikaze1a

The magnum small rifle primers are a bit "flashier" inside the case... that is they are running a little hotter than the standard small rifle primer, which is a bit hotter than the small pistol primer. The only problem I could foresee is if you are using really fast powders like Clays, Solo 1000 or Titegroup. Since there is less of that type of powder in a case, more of it would be exposed to the primer flash at a given time, then it might pressure peak a little faster which would not be good if near a maximum load for those fast powders. With more medium speed powders which fill more of the case, only that powder at the base of the cartridge would be exposed and so it could not all ignite at the same time. So I would stick to more medium speed powders with those magnum small rifle primers just to be sure.

The only other variation (I hesitate to call it a problem...) that hotter primers may cause is that they might have enough power to force the bullet from the case on their own. This means the bullet will start to engage the bore before the powder itself has ignited. The result might be unnoticed by the shooter, but a pressure gauge would detect TWO pressure peaks... One from the primer itself, and the second as the now dislodged bullet is forced down the bore by the igniting powder charge. The only negative to this might be a slight decrease in accuracy and maybe a few feet per second less in velocity... sort of like loading really long OAL.

In any case, a chronograph and a target would be your friends anytime you change any of the components in your loads.