Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super most accuate load

opcx6

Hi, can anyone help me with suggestions for your most accurate loads for .38 Super? Prefer cast or fmj, not plated, bullets. Major or minor, I want to shoot Bianchi Cup with iron sight gun with comp, so minor is O K.

Can anyone help with their recipes?

:cheers:

Edited by opcx6

Pick a good JHP 115gr or 125gr. You can't go wrong starting there. Cast bullets will be a little grubby in a comped gun.

I like Sierra, Zero, Hornady or Montana Gold to name a few.

You can practice with what you like but for match day you use absolutely the best available regardless of the cost.

Cases,

Brand new or once fired in your gun for match day. Whatever you have or can get for practice. I prefer Starline, they make good brass at a reasonable price and they support the Cup.

Powder, in no particular order as supply will be an issue.

Vihtavouri N320, TiteGroup, Win231, WST and anything about this burnrate. I use Titegroup and N320 in that order. Supply of both is easy where I live at this time, not cheap but easy to get.

Primers,

I prefer Federal, there is nothing wrong with any of the US made product.

My Match load is, 115gr JHP, (Zero at the moment) 4.8gr TG, Federal Primer and NEW Starline cases. Alternate is Sierra 115gr JHP, 4.9gr TG, Federal Primer and new Starline cases. Either load is sub 1" at 50y off a sandbag. The Sierra has given me the very best group of .55" (5shots) at 50Y, 6th shot broke it out to .85".

I load to about 1.225" with either JHP and a little longer (but not longer than 1.250") with anything Round nose.

Good quality dies and relaoding machine is a must. Many here are big fans of Mr Dillon's fine product, I agree.

Take your time and make a few test batches to see what is going well for you gun.

If you are building a gun and have not got fully through it, be aware that you could dispense with the comp and shoot metallic sights 6" gun with iron sights mounted on a barrel weight / block that sits where the comp once was. That way with lead projectiles you will not have ports to fill with material ha will take some cleaning out.

I shoot Open and Metallic. But I have never shot Open with Irons as if I have to put up with cleaninga comp I am going all out with every advantage I can take. You will be at a disadvantage against many, but if that is the path you want to follow go for it.

See you in May and enjoy.

one that shoots great in my pistols is a Remington 147 FMJ match bullet powered by 4.4 grains of Winchester 231. CCI standard primer, oal is around 1.240. it offers mild recoil and superb accuracy in my pistols. it runs about 915 fps from my 5 inch Colt barrel.

Edited by superdude

For accuracy I start with the 125 grain, .356" Hornady HAP bullet. It's an XTP without the last two nose forming operations (cheaper than XTPs). Enough Titegroup to reach 1,100 fps.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the help. :cheers:

Edited by opcx6