Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL again

Raul Marquez

Hi. I was adjusting my SDB fr a 200gr SWC in .45acp for my new Springfield 1911.  I got the length to 1.245 in., which most of you recommend.  I decided to use the barrel as a gauge, but the dummy round stuck out past the hood or whatever you call that thing. I push the bullet in till the round is now flush, but now the length is 1.219 in. Is it now too short? I am tempted stay with the 230gr round nose, but the 200gr makes such a pretty hole.

I have had the same problem.  What I did in that case was fit the bullet to whatever depth that it fed in the gun at and in my case decreased the powder charge slightly because i usually load my rounds as hot as i can.  It takes a bit of experimenting and some care, but it worked fine.  Another possibility is that something could be off in your barrel, I suggest trying to fit a round at 1.245 in a friends barrel.

Jake

I think the problm with the 1.245" load is the actual shape of the 200gr SWC. The round nose projectile has the ogive of the projectile further back for any given load length. A SWC has had the nose flattened off and will stick further out of the case. And subsequently leave more space for powder, in addition to being lighter and shorter anyway. Load to what you barrel indicates. My Para needs the SWC to be about the 1.220" but with 230RN they will go out to 1.255" but will catch on the inside of the mag. With 185gr JHP Zeros I find they work best at 1.200". So try and see.

Get a pistolsmith to chamber ream your barrel. Some one who knows what they are doing and uses a Clymer reamer. You could shorten the round but I think it won't be as reliable. Sounds like an unfinished chamber which is real strange for a foctory gun

Not sure about your barrel, but sounds like the bullet is hitting the rifling. A reamer would cure that. Keep trying with the 200 SWC - its a good bullet. If you do give up on it, Westcoast has a thick plated 200 gr Roundnose you might try. I think Berrys' makes one as well, but have not tried it.  D.

I am going to stick with the 230gr roundnose.  I just got the pistol back from a gunsmith.  I needed a short trigger rather then the long trigger already on the pistol.  I was told it would take 2 weeks.  all they were going to do was order the part and install it.  Unfortnly, it's never that easy.  Brownell didn't have it.  I didn't know this till I called a week and half later.  I gave the authorization to order another make, which happened to be more expensive.  I finally got my gun back after 5 week and $50 later.  So, I am reluctant to go thru that again.  Thank you all for your input.

The trigger is made by wilson combat. The price for it was $31.95. Mind you, I was more concern by the time it took, then the amount it cost.  From reading about gunsmiths, I was already under the impression that it would be expensive. I had it done at Robar here in Phoenix

Raul,

I see Wilson's short trigger listed in the Brownell's catalog but I didn't find it in their website.  What was the other brand you were looking at?  I'm thinking of maybe getting a Dlask short trigger.