Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar-10 Hints ?

Zak Smith

With a couple bonuses coming due, I finally ordered a JP AR10 (.308). It's the 20" Lightweight version.

For shooting He-Man class, what are some good iron sights to use?

Tim@JP suggested we mount a second weaver block just beyond the float tube (which covers the actual gas block) as a base for a removable front sight.

For precision shooting, is the Leupold M1 3.5x-10 (or M1/MKIV) a good choice?

-z

Instead of adding another base in which to put a sight on, look at the Bushmaster clamp-on front sight post. Works great, and can be removed without having to take off the muzzle brake (if one is installed). Only works on a .750 barrel though. :ph34r:

If Tim is talking about what I think he is, the widget he is speaking of is the JPSB front sight mounting block that clamps on the barrel anywhere forward of the handguard right on out to the muzzle brake. This gives a good long sight radius for accuracy enhancement and allows quick detach of the front iron sight for optic use. It is available for .730" .875" & .925" bbl's and runs a paltry $39.95.

I have one on my Limited class AR upper holding a Lyman Globe sight with changeable inserts that I use in combination with an rail clamp-on A2 type rear. It is a fast & accurate setup. An A2 ears & post type front that mounts on the JPSB is also available.

Here is a link to the page at JP Rifles for all of these parts.

http://www.jprifles.com/DetachableSights.shtml

Regards,

Be sure to procure three or four 100% reliable 20 round mags. A couple of guys I shoot with seem to be dealing with this issue quite a bit. Modifying after market mags didn't work. Use only the real thing, G.I. if at all possible.

Not much will ruin your day more than having a great run go down the toilet due to magazine problems.

George,

Regarding the front sight base, I'm not sure it's that. He said it looked just like their adjustable gas block and would take the standard post-style removable front sight.

Mickster,

My plan is to convert some of my M1A mags using the conversion kits (mag body + follower stuff) from Armalite.

-z

Hi Zak,

I still think it is the JP part# JPSB (JP Sight Block) because the JPSB looks just like a JP adjustable gas block only a tad smaller, and it also has a rail segment machined into the top just like the gas block does.

The "standard post style removeable front sight" you mention could also be the detachable A2 style ear and post front sight setup I mentioned (JP part # AFSP).

Regards,

So you'd suggest putting the sight block just rear of the comp?

Heck yeah! The increased sight radius will increase accuracy for distance shooting, and won't hurt your speed at all up close. In fact, I'd use the new JP hand guard mounted iron sight system for the close/fast stuff anyway.

Regards,

That Bushmaster front sight I mentioned earlier clamps on the barrel any where you want it, it's not a gas block type sight. And, it's made of aluminum, so it's lighter, and it folds down out of the way. I put one just behind the muzzle brake for a longer sight radius, works great.

• 1 month later...

This might be it. Let me know.

The new B.M.A.S. Detachable Front Flip Sight

designed to clamp snugly on the top rail of the B.M.A.S. Gas Block or other Picatinny rails with Allen screws for perfect repeat zero every time. Machined from aircraft aluminum billet, it locks up or flips down at the touch of a button. A standard A2 front sight post with spring and detent is installed offering elevation zeroing just as with the original M16A2 sight system.