Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165 gr JHP w/ Titegroup

BigDave

OK, now that I have 1000 165's to load, I need a bit of advice.  My current load is 4.5gr of Titegroup under a Star 180 JHP @ 1.187" OAL, WSP.  I imagine I'll have to go to some where around ~4.7 to get the 1000fps I need to make major.  Will I be OK with the Titegroup, or should a go a notch slower powder (I'm not sure exatly which)???  Just need a bit of direction.

Uhhh....I just loaded up a couple hundred 40's with Titegroup under lead 180's and had no problems whatsoever.  In fact, I think what I'm loading is fairly common in my neck of the woods.   The gun just shot like a sweetheart and I didn't notice any thing odd with the brass other than a some minor blowby along the sidewall.  

Am I in iminent danger of something bad?

E

Yup Flex.  It's going through the new baby.  (I got really lucky - the gun likes everything - long, short - it's all good.)

Gotta agree wholeheartedly with you on the Glock deal.  I was sorting through some once fired cases the cops left, and some officer at my range has a Glock with a dangerously oversized chamber.  I can see the danger signs of separation on once fired brass.  Scary stuff.

Thanks!

E

Well, it looks like 5.0 grs of Titegroup is the ticket for Major.  They averaged about 1030 fps = 170 pf (actually about 169.95).  The std deviation was only about 10-15fps, which I like.  Just FYI and FFR, 4.8 grs was just under 1000fps, so, 4.9 would likely (need to chrono for sure) be about 166-168 pf, but 170 is a bit safer number to be at.

BTW, I didn't note any primer flow or pressure signs.  I'm still using WSP's, but I may just switch to WSR's for that extra margin of security.  One other thing I noted was there seemed to be a lot less blowby.  I didn't load enough to get some good accuracy numbers, basically only enough to run about 30-40 over the chrono.  Once I get it on a rest, I'll pass those numbers on.

I did note that this perticular load is noticable more snappy than the 180's I ran before.  My front sight with my old 180 load tracked in a nice, small arc, up and to the right.  This load appears to track much more vertically, with only a slight push to the right.  I'm about to change some springs, so we'll see how that changes things.

Dave,

Changing primers can effect pressure and velocity.  You might want to chrono again if you switch up.

(Hey, if you aren't doing anything Saturday...Circleville is having their first match.  About a half hour south of Columbus.  If you want to make the drive, let me know...I get you all the info.)

(Edited by Flexmoney at 4:16 pm on April 1, 2002)