Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Helper message to Match Director

Joe4d

A couple observations about match setup and management help.

I have seen some posts, some emails, some canceled matches, and some MD rants about lack of help. Now I realize help is important in a volunteer sport but there are some things Match Directors do to discourage help.

Not excepting a little help: At a large club match a request for help running a higher level match went out, alot of hands started going up, "we dont want you if you cant work all four days" (I am exaggerating on verbiage but that was the general impression) all those hands went back down.

Setups on days different than the match: especially if your club is located in a Friday evening traffic jam from hell region. Setups on a Saturday especially if your start time on Sunday isnt till after 10.

People have to drive everyone doesnt live next to the range. One day for shooting is enough on weekends, An organized setup crew can set up the morning of the match. My club asked for each shooter to set up one match, I am 2 hours away, I went last month when setup was the morning of the match, guess what? seemed like lots of help at that one compared to other months when setup is one or two days before. MD's say they need more time which leads me to the next point and probably biggest discouragement:

Micromanagement: Nothing like showing up early then standing around with thumbs in rectums because only one guy has the COF's and that one guy is unwilling or unable to delegate anything and keeps the COF's with him as he moves from stage to stage. Multiple copies of COF diagrams with prop supplies lists need to be available so anyone with basically no instructions can start grabbing stuff and setting up or even running back and forth to the shed to gather the props needed.

You've made some excellent points.

My home club recently hosted the provincial championship IPSC match. The MD has an e-mail list of members and regular helpers. He made a point of e-mailing everyone in advance of work parties, and set up dates. He also outlined in the e-mail what work was planned for the day. I'm sure he'll still grumble about the lack of help, but I think his system works well.

The issue of distance does come up regularly. At our club, we have a large number of ranges, and several of them are not normally available for IPSC shooting. During the big matches, we close the whole club. Consequently, we are inconvieniencing the non-IPSC member during the set up and tear down phase. As such, there is a real issue at the close of a big match to tear down and stow props immediately. While many are happy to stay and help, those looking at 3-5 hour drives home on a Sunday afternoon can feel put out.

Makes me feel really good about my two home clubs; Old Bridge and Central Jersey

We put on a total of 12 stages each month (7 & 5) occasionally a 6th at CJ, we have designers and builders, props get delivered tot he pits and people go to work, we start about 8 and generally shoot a bit after 10. Tear down the same way, almost every one will pitch in at one end or the other and many at both.

No micro management, however we do walk the stages and try to assure ourselves that they are with in the rules and safe.

If we had to give up two days every match, I am sure we'd see a big decline in help and therefore shooters.

Jim

As an MD that does usually complain about a lack of help, I see your points. I try not to stress over the details of a stage setup. I will hand it off to a couple of guys and give them the general idea, but let them work out the details. We pretty much have to set up the day of club matches. I work on Saturday nights, so I can't be there for an evening setup party- plus that way we only have to drive to the range on the day of the match.

I would never dream of turning away help because they are only available for a day of setup. If I've done my job right, I should have projects broken down into easily controlled pieces.