Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caliber...bullet...brass selection ?

Flexmoney

I'm just trying to stimulate some discussion.

Flex,

There was a time when I would have held the same opinion as yours in regard to the efficacy of a comp at the relatively low PF that BC guns like to run at.

Then I got a gun built for metallic sight division... it is a 5" slide with a 6" barrel with a weight attached to the end. The slide is lightened and the barrel is a full bull-cone lockup. The whole she-bang weighs in at 46ozs.

I also have a BC gun that has all the bells and whistles - it weighs a bit more and has a 3 port comp.

The same ammunition when fired through the two guns is best described as worlds apart. The comp makes a noticeable difference to muzzle rise yet the hit in the hand is about the same. Neither are unplesant to shoot, but the comped gun is significantly faster back into the aiming area.

The same ammo through my open Practical gun (with Ti 4 port comp) is almost pop-gun like.

I cannot offer a scientifically supported theory as to why the difference - but can endorse DD's comments, it just works !

See photo below;

post-8483-1251015396_thumb.jpg[

Thanks for adding in some feedback. B)

The same ammo through my open Practical gun (with Ti 4 port comp) is almost pop-gun like.

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Is that a god thing or a bad thing? How does it compare?

Thanks for adding in some feedback. B)

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Is that a god thing or a bad thing? How does it compare?

It is a good thing in that the dot spends less time out of the aiming area - that means I have more time to align the dot in the aiming area while I gently squeeze the trigger fully to the rear in a single continuous movement.

With the Practical gun the report from the comp is louder and the hit in the hand is even softer. The muzzle-rise is on par with the BC gun, and less than the non-comped gun. The 4 port comp must be doing something, because it sure 'aint much of a barrel weight !

I use 4.6 grains of Win 231 with a 122gn lead projectile for practice and 4.8 of 231 with the Hornady 121 HAP for serious Action Pistol.

I have been practicing with Montana Gold 115 gr. FMJ. Is there the thought that JHP's are inherently more accurate, or do they just fly better out of some guns?

From my experience they are more accurate. I have tested alot of bullets in 38 super and 38 spl., 9mm, and the hollow point is always the most accurate out of my comp guns. :cheers:

Most of us have found the JHPs to be a bit more accurate. You get a longer bullet for the weight because of the hollow point, and that means a longer bearing surface. Also, most FMJs have exposed lead on the back, making for more smoke and lead in the comp.

Alan~^~

I have been practicing with Montana Gold 115 gr. FMJ. Is there the thought that JHP's are inherently more accurate, or do they just fly better out of some guns?

JHPs generally have very uniform bases, which lends itself to even distribution of pressure to propel the bullet forward. Side-by-side, the JHP version of a bullet (for any given weight) will likely be more accurate than its FMJ cousin. YMMV.

Flex,

As to the comp working, I am reminded of all the rifles and shotguns my Great-Grandfather built with Cutt's Compensators on them. I was told that the idea was to bleed off gas to diminish recoil impulse, not to prevent muzzle rise in the same fashion as comped open guns. So there is less flip because you are bleeding off the gas, not forcing the the muzzle down with directed gas flow. It sure makes a difference when I shoot that 35 Acklee vs. my non-compensated 30-06. Seems it would be the same with pistols.

JZ