Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack 45ACP conversion to 40S&W

BN91205

Hello Everyone,

I've got a complete top end for a Gov't 40S&W and was wondering if it can be fitted to a single stack 45ACP frame. I shoot mainly Open, Production and Limited and would like to narrow it down to one size primer for the Single Stack division. Can this be done? What modifications to the frame are necessary? Will I be spending $$$$$$$ to do this?

Thanks for the advice,

Brian

I think you only need to change your barrel, barrel bushing and extractor (and maybe magazines although I have used Wilson 47D magazines with .40S&W ammo and they work just fine). IMO, you may be better off just getting a whole top end for you .40S&W set up.

Most .40 barrels for 1911s are ramped in some way and if your frame isn't ramped it won't work unless you find a unramped .40 barrel. You could also have your frame cut for a ramped barrel but then you'll need a ramped .45 barrel as well. Personally I would keep gathering parts and have another gun built.

Assuming it has the same type of barrel ramp (C/P, W/N, or unramped), your complete .40 top end will work on a .45 lower, but you will need to swap out the .45 ejector for a 9mm/.38/.40 ejector first.

• 4 weeks later...

The slide lock is different, but if you use the 45 mags as suggested, you can use the 45 slide lock. If you miss match the slide locks, except barrel lock up issues it just won't hold open consistantly.

On the ramp issue if you have unramped barrels, using the ramp on the frame, it won't work because a 38/ 40 barrel doesn't cut as much of the frame off. So if it is cut for a 45, you do not have enough frame for a 40.