Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP Mark 1 - For a new guy

joshua79109

I'm just getting set up for 3gun. I have been trying to decide between the Benelli M2 and the FN SLP Mark 1. I believe I have decided on the FN. I have two other firearms from FN and I really like the company. I know there are more people out there that like the Benelli and I know it's proven to be a great shotgun. The one thing that worries me about the FN is that it dosen't have much for aftermarket support.

So with all that said - for those that are running the FN do you have any suggestions? Any thing about the FN that might surprise me?

Thanks for any help.

The FN does not need much aftermarket support. Its GTG right out of the box. Maybe an extended bolt handle by Nordic. And maybe an extended bolt release. Some mill work or dremel action to the load port. Maybe weld the lifter. But it is pretty damn competitive right out of the box. And I am an Ex Benelli guy. I now recommend the SLP to anyone getting started in 3 gun.

The SLP is as solid of a shotgun as the Benelli.

I started the 3 gun deal this year and went with the FNH SLP MK1 and could not be happier. Like Tod said, just get a Nordic bolt handle, WELD THE LIFT GATE and a little dremel and polish. Go shoot a couple hundred rounds through it on a sporting clays course, clean it, shoot another 50 and wet it good the morning of competition. Oh, and always use the light piston. Only use the heavy for 3" loads. I shot with Tod at Kentucky whenhe had ole' Nelli before he sold her. Then at Fayette he had the new SX. I think the FN had "shown him the light". Tod, I hope I'm not speaking out of school here? If you needs some pictures of my mods let me know and I'll be glad to share. I've got a pretty nice BRA (bolt release assist) that my smith made. You'll need one of those too. Enjoy your FN!

Edited by CATman33

I started the 3 gun deal this year and went with the FNH SLP MK1 and could not be happier. Like Tod said, just get a Nordic bolt handle, WELD THE LIFT GATE and a little dremel and polish. Go shoot a couple hundred rounds through it on a sporting clays course, clean it, shoot another 50 and wet it good the morning of competition. Oh, and always use the light piston. Only use the heavy for 3" loads. I shot with Tod at Kentucky whenhe had ole' Nelli before he sold her. Then at Fayette he had the new SX. I think the FN had "shown him the light". Tod, I hope I'm not speaking out of school here? If you needs some pictures of my mods let me know and I'll be glad to share. I've got a pretty nice BRA (bolt release assist) that my smith made. You'll need one of those too. Enjoy your FN!

I would really appreciate some photos - I get through Topeka regularly and would be happy to drop off some of your favorite beverage.

Thanks

Ed has some nice mods done to his SLP. His smith does a good workover on them. His has not failed since I have shot with him the last few big matches. I now run the Winchester SX3 which is basically the same as the SLP with some different styling. See my thread below for the pics. Way more costly than the SLP too. The SLP has to be the best deal in practical shotguns right now.

The Blue Ridge match was the last time I shot my Benelli before I sold it. It was a great gun and I have absolutely nothing against them. It was just time for a change for me.

I recently just put an FN 26" vent rib barrel on my SLP and boy did it make it balance better. It is now 10 ounces lighter too. I much prefer the vent rib barrel but that is all personal preference. The vent rib was the big reason I went with the SX3.

Oh yeah......Ed......you were supposed to autograph my shotty since you're famous now. You forgot. Wassup wit dat?

Edited by 00bullitt

Ed has some nice mods done to his SLP. His smith does a good workover on them. His has not failed since I have shot with him the last few big matches. I now run the Winchester SX3 which is basically the same as the SLP with some different styling. See my thread below for the pics. Way more costly than the SLP too. The SLP has to be the best deal in practical shotguns right now.

The Blue Ridge match was the last time I shot my Benelli before I sold it. It was a great gun and I have absolutely nothing against them. It was just time for a change for me.

I recently just put an FN 26" vent rib barrel on my SLP and boy did it make it balance better. It is now 10 ounces lighter too. I much prefer the vent rib barrel but that is all personal preference. The vent rib was the big reason I went with the SX3.

Oh yeah......Ed......you were supposed to autograph my shotty since you're famous now. You forgot. Wassup wit dat?

:roflol: Hi Tod. Man you don't want to ruin that nice SX by putting my chicken scratch on her. And I don't know about "famous"? I'll probably get cut in editing!

I would really appreciate some photos - I get through Topeka regularly and would be happy to drop off some of your favorite beverage.

Thanks

Thanks for the beverage offer. But I hate to drink alone. Feel free to pull in for a pit stop sometime and we'll have a cold one. :cheers: My pics are too big of file size to post here. I'll try to send them to you in a pm.

Thanks

I think I've got it now. Lets see if these work. In the last pic, note the little nub that as put on the back side of the lift gate. That is so the gate doesn't go to far down (or I guess it woul be up?) Anyhow your shell can kind of "bump" goign into the tube and raising the gate just a touch makes it smoooth as silk. enjoy

Edited by CATman33

Thanks

I think I've got it now. Lets see if these work. In the last pic, note the little nub that as put on the back side of the lift gate. That is so the gate doesn't go to far down (or I guess it woul be up?) Anyhow your shell can kind of "bump" goign into the tube and raising the gate just a touch makes it smoooth as silk. enjoy

That last pic didn't load here it is.

I would like to get those mods done myself. Does your guy work on other peoples stuff?

Only on a very limited basis. But he's not taking on any others right now. I think he's very busy building pistols.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Have been shooting a REM 11-87 for years, and am looking at new shotguns....

What is the reason for welding on the lifter? Is it just to keep from pinching fingers?

Thanks all!

:cheers:

Yes.....it helps prevent getting a finger trapped by the load gate.

What is the reason for welding on the lifter? Is it just to keep from pinching fingers?

Thanks all!

Todd is there any reason that they come from the factory designed as they are? Why Benelli puts on a lifter which appears by design to be intended to screw up your finger or nail escapes me.

Thanks all!

Todd is there any reason that they come from the factory designed as they are? Why Benelli puts on a lifter which appears by design to be intended to screw up your finger or nail escapes me.

I've not yet had anyone give me the true reasoning behind the forked lifter. It definitely does not lend itself well to the art of high speed shotgun reloading.

I'd be willing to bet that KirkM guy may know the reason of why it is done that way.

Thanks all!

I've not yet had anyone give me the true reasoning behind the forked lifter. It definitely does not lend itself well to the art of high speed shotgun reloading.

I'd be willing to bet that KirkM guy may know the reason of why it is done that way.

Forked Lifter? Now that is truly a great tem. I just can not wait to use it in the Benelli booth at SHOT. But because I like you I will not quote you!

Edited by Charles Bond