Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The best AR .223 barrel

Nedragon

I've been using the Lothar-Walther in poly, 1-7. Loves the 77 grain Sierras.

How would this compare to a 16" DPMS barrel? I've been using a DPMS as my backup to my JP, but I'm such horrible rifle shot that I can't tell a difference between the two.

After having used most of those listed, I would have to say that Krieger makes the "Best" barrel. The others are all good, some really good, but my experiance has me favoring my Krieger. They are single point cut rifled, lapped to 16 microns, held to tolerances of .0005 max range. They offer many services that are beneficial to 3-gun rifles. My personal bbl is 18" rifle gas, 1-7.7 twist, Stainless, Fluted w/5.56 match chamber. All the specs asside, what i like most about this bbl is the consistancy. It is the only barrel I have owned (and theres been many over the years) that will shoot my 75 gr loads AND my 55 gr loads to the exact same point of impact at my zero distance. Both loads sub MOA with the 75's running about .47" and the 55's .75". A better bench rest shooter could undoubtedly get better results.

I've been using the Lothar-Walther in poly, 1-7. Loves the 77 grain Sierras.

How would this compare to a 16" DPMS barrel? I've been using a DPMS as my backup to my JP, but I'm such horrible rifle shot that I can't tell a difference between the two.

I have to agree in most part with what other folks are saying. The faster 1-7 twist is much better suited to heavier bullets. Krieger makes an outstanding barrel and is, IMHO one of the most carefully produced barrel going. There are some however that will argue Lilja is a competitor in this regard.

I personally like the LW because they don't cost an exorbitant amount of money and when chambered carefully, they deliver great results. Specifically when talking about fast moving competitions that require very high round counts. Now this is probably going to get a few folks upset, but my personal experience (not any scientific testing) has been that a poly rifled stainless steel barrel holds accuracy for a longer round count. But I guess that depends on how we define acceptable accuracy. I think that may be a direct result of a poly barrel giving up fouling a little easier than a single point cut. Just my opinion!

I have a 20" rock river on my limited gun that shoots very well. It prints my 55's and 69's at the same point of impact, so I can switch back and forth with only a little bit of elevation to worry about. I am able to hit a 600 yard steel target with either load at will. Obvouusly, the 55's do blow around more.

I have had good luck with DPMS barrels on my .308s also.

Scott