Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650XL shell plate ball in main shaft

I was trying to fix one thing and caused another problem.

My main problem is that I allowed the ball that holds the shell plate to go down the main shaft. I did this while trying to clean the unit and I can not seem to find an easy way to get the ball out. I have tried a magnet - no good.

I feel gather stupid, but can someone give me some ideas that do not involve taking most of the pieces off of the unit?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dwight

If you have a can of compressed air, like the ones to clean computer keyboards, just point the nozzle at the hole and spray. The ball will pop right out. You could put duck tape on the end of a stick to fish it out, or use a larg drinking straw and suck.

I used my shopvac for retrieval. Get the springs out of the way before you turn it on. I turn it on and off quick enough that I can hear the ball hit the hose before the large deposit bin. If you do it quickly the ball just rolls out of the hose into your hand. (make sure you have enough hose to put a good "U" shape into it.

JMTC

Magnet will work, just have to have the right magnet. Use the search fuction, pretty good thread there with a bunch of ways to do this. A pencil magnet at Ace hdwyr cost about 4 bucks, has a clip for your pocket protector too. Mine hangs on the strong mt , good for retriveing balls, springs and all sort of stuff. Damned sight faster than getting the shop vac or hunting sticks and duct tape or chewing gum.-----------Larry

Edited by Larry White