Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Limited OAL Recommendations.

NoSteel

Ok, new to the .40 Limited game. 1st time out with Factory loads gun ran flawlesly with Henning 140mags. Went to the range today with my loads and had nose dive issues. I'm only running brass that has passed a gauge check and the mag set up look as Henning suggest. I think my issue is with OAL. After reading some posts it looks like I should move out to at least 1.190. Ran some up today and boy do they seem long!!! Barrel check passes ok though and they fit the mag well. Dry cycled a mag full trough and they appear to hit the ramp pretty clean. Am I on the right track here??? Can't hit the range again before my match this weekend so any input is appreciated.

Rod.

You are on the right track. I run mine all the way to 1.210. They do seem long but between that and making sure the mag feed lips are around .390 it runs like a top. Look for the ChaLee post about the nose dive issues. Lots of great info.

I was running some .40 at 1.225 and I started to have some feed issues. I checked feed lips and got them to .390 and was still having some issues. So I started shortening my rounds. I originally started out with a 10# recoil spring and have since moved to the new 10.75# spring and shortened my OAL to 1.190 and pistol runs flawlessly now. Hope this helps.

I did the same thing. I made the rounds longer and longer till I had malfunctions, then backed then down a crank on the bullet seating die and they work fine now. Each gun is different, so you measurements will vary. I never had issues with the rifling hitting the bullets, just feed issues. When they got too long, the slide wouldn't push the round into battery. Longer is better, but only up to a point.

Just an update. Ran my match last week, 300rnds worth, and had only 1 FTF that was easily recovered from with a rack of the slide. At this point with Montana Gold 180 CMJ flat points looks like 1.190 -1.200 is going to work great. I'm going to be running Zero 180's FMJ's flat point next with more of an angled conture than the MTG's so I suspect they will feed even better at those lengths. Thanks all for the input, now love this gun!!! Still only running with the mags loaded to 19 to ease reloads but suspect when Henning gets my U-Die in stock and to me 20rnds will be no problem. With 64 competitors in that match I am alone in running a Tanfoglio so I had lot's of looks and questions. I'm not good enough to scare the S_I crowd yet but this gun (Check out my Grip Bling Post) had them looking. Yes, I am a convert.... :cheers:

Edited by NoSteel