Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P15 VTAC

STInky

I am thinking seriously about ordering one of these for a duty rifle. I've found a really good deal on one, considering it comes from the factory with :

-JP/VTAC handguard with three sections of rail

-VTAC padded sling

-Surefire G2 light with VTAC mount

-Vltor butt stock

-Surefire flash hider for quick-detach suppressors

And to top it all off....JP Fire Controls with JP speed hammer !!! From the Factory !!!!!

I'm really excited about this. Now I will be able to leave my JP competition rifle at home in the safe...instead of bouncing around mounted to the trunk of my car.

The only negative that I can see is the carbine-length gas system.....and that's not a big deal to me.

mp_vtac.jpg

Edited by STInky

I am thinking seriously about ordering one of these for a duty rifle. I've found a really good deal on one, considering it comes from the factory with :

-JP/VTAC handguard with three sections of rail

-VTAC padded sling

-Surefire G2 light with VTAC mount

-Vltor butt stock

-Surefire flash hider for quick-detach suppressors

And to top it all off....JP Fire Controls with JP speed hammer !!! From the Factory !!!!!

I'm really excited about this. Now I will be able to leave my JP competition rifle at home in the safe...instead of bouncing around mounted to the trunk of my car.

The only negative that I can see is the carbine-length gas system.....and that's not a big deal to me.

mp_vtac.jpg

Me too.

I handled one of these at my local gun shop last week. It was really nice. They wanted $1800+ for it. I thought that was kind if high for a S&W at the time. The salesman didn't tell me it had JP fire controls which makes it a much, much better deal.

I handled one of these at my local gun shop last week. It was really nice. They wanted $1800+ for it. I thought that was kind if high for a S&W at the time. The salesman didn't tell me it had JP fire controls which makes it a much, much better deal.

Knock about 25% off of that and it makes it a lot better deal !!! I can't wait to get it. Also gives me a valid excuse to buy a suppressor !!!!

they have one at a local Cabelas here in Omaha. The JP trigger was nice and the VTAC, but everything else was pretty low end. which would be fine with me, but for $1800 i would rather have one built with a better barrel ,etc...

We have one in stock. In addition to all yo have mentioned, it also has the lightweight stainless carrier. Super sweet factory gun.

How much is yours selling for Ken....???

p.s. I still love my VZ58 you hooked me up with...thanks

i bought one to replace my frankengun, really like it. $1800 is a bit on the high end but I have to admit I liked everything working from the start without having to build it up myself. you may be paying a premium to have everything built for you at the factory, but between the the JP handguard (which I <really> like), sling, light, light mount, vltor stock, surefire flash hider, and JP fire controls, there's a lot of $$ already in the rifle when I opened the box. haven't taken out the calculator and brownells catalog to see what the difference is between buying this and building it up myself, but I've no regrets. this was also the first rifle I've owned with a jp trigger, amazed at how much difference it makes.

-jared

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered an upper from Firebird Precision with a 20" lother walther barrel, Carbon tube, rolling thunder comp, JP low mass BC, standard bolt, tactical charging handle and a DPMS fixed rear sight for $1220 shipped. I am putting it on my DPMS lower with JP trigger and ACE stock. I'll have ~$2000 in the gun with shipping and I'll have a better rifle and sights. Jim could build this rifle with better parts for less money. Jim and Nancy were great to deal with as well. Jim talked to me on the phone for 30-40 minutes answering stupid questions to make sure the upper met my needs too. If you want a factory quailty rifle give them a call.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Edited by jtischauser

I just ordered an upper from Firebird Precision with a 20" lother walther barrel, Carbon tube, rolling thunder comp, JP low mass BC, standard bolt, tactical charging handle and a DPMS fixed rear sight for $1220 shipped. I am putting it on my DPMS lower with JP trigger and ACE stock. I'll have ~$2000 in the gun with shipping and I'll have a better rifle and sights. Jim could build this rifle with better parts for less money. Jim and Nancy were great to deal with as well. Jim talked to me on the phone for 30-40 minutes answering stupid questions to make sure the upper met my needs too. If you want a factory quailty rifle give them a call.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I got a decent deal on this rifle. I only paid about $100 more for the entire package than you did for your upper!!! I know what I have is not FireBird material, but I bought this mainly as a patrol rifle....so I could take my JP rifle out of the trunk and quit getting it banged around.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I got a decent deal on this rifle. I only paid about $100 more for the entire package than you did for your upper!!! I know what I have is not FireBird material, but I bought this mainly as a patrol rifle....so I could take my JP rifle out of the trunk and quit getting it banged around.

excellent! I wasn't trying to take anything away from your rifle. I was comparing my Firebird to the $1800 rifle I saw locally.

excellent! I wasn't trying to take anything away from your rifle. I was comparing my Firebird to the $1800 rifle I saw locally.

No worries....I didn't take your comments that way.

My main intentions when buying this rifle were to have something to carry with me on duty that was very similar to the rifle that I shoot at matches that I am the most comfortable with. They both have the JP trigger, both have the JP/VTAC tube, etc.

Now I'm torn over what optic to put on the vtac rifle. I've got an Aimpoint on it at the moment, but I use a Leupold Mk IV 1.5-5x on my JP rifle. I really like the magnification, but I know the Aimpoint is good to several hundred yards too.....

Will your duty entail shooting out to several hundred yards?

My carry rifle has a Leupold prismatic sitting on it, and that instead of an Aimpoint is for the simple fact that even w/o battery power I still have crosshairs, should Senior Murphy tag along for the ride.

We have one in stock. In addition to all yo have mentioned, it also has the lightweight stainless carrier. Super sweet factory gun.

So that's why we can't find any lightweight carriers and vtac handguards they are all in the M&P :rolleyes::rolleyes::surprise:

Edited by Sudden Death

No worries....I didn't take your comments that way.

My main intentions when buying this rifle were to have something to carry with me on duty that was very similar to the rifle that I shoot at matches that I am the most comfortable with. They both have the JP trigger, both have the JP/VTAC tube, etc.

Now I'm torn over what optic to put on the vtac rifle. I've got an Aimpoint on it at the moment, but I use a Leupold Mk IV 1.5-5x on my JP rifle. I really like the magnification, but I know the Aimpoint is good to several hundred yards too.....

Have you tried the Aimpoint 3X magnifier? Mounted in a flip-down QD LaRue mount they are very handy -- flip it up if you need better target ID or have to take a longer shot, flip it down (or remove it) for close work.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=131

11324_Pivot-Mount_LT649_Small.jpg

One con is that the weapon system does start to get a bit heavy...