Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My G17 Open Project

LarryP

I want some opinions,information/advice

Building my Open gun from current 3rd Gen. G 17. #15 Steel GR Spg and GlockMeister Mag well.

Adding: Carver scope mount & Weaver rail mount, C-More “ Railway scope”, 9MM LW Barrel & Six Port Comp., and

Vanek Drop in Trigger job.

Am I better off sticking with Minor vs Major? or Can I shoot both?

Will the C-More hold up with a Major load?

Edited by LarryP

I am no Open expert but to answer a few questions.

From what I hear the SJC comp is the best on the market and KKM barrels have a great rep too. A 14-15# spring is is good for this application.

I have heard that the carver mount can get loose but I have nothing to confirm this. Also with a frame mount you will probably need to have the slide to frame fit tightened. The glock fit is loose compared to custom 1911/2011 and with the dot being attached to the frame you can loose some accuracy. If you go with some type of Jpoint or docter mounted on the slide then you could skip the tighting. But them I have heard of some not holding up over time.

Major is fine just be safe and work up your loads slow. I hear HS-6 is working well. Minor will affect how the comp works but other than that I don't know much. I do know SJC has a diffarant comp for minor I think.

When it comes to trigger and magwells it is reall going to be a personal thing. I hear alot of great things about the Vanek stuff. Just search it out and read about it.

Dave

Also I have this list I made to build my Open Glock. It's not perfect and most all is personal preferance but It's somthing to chew on.

Things to build an Open Glock (Major 9)

1: Glock 17----------------------------------$539

2: KKM threaded barrel-----------------------$225

3: SJC 9mm Compensator (9/16" 32 t.p.i.)-----$100

4: SS Guide Rod------------------------------$20

5: Recoil Spring 14lbs-----------------------$8

6: SJC Heavy Magwell-------------------------$120

7: Taylor Freelance +5 basepad---------------$35-Wspring

8: Taylor Freelance +8 basepad---------------$45-wspring

9: Fulcrum Trigger Kit-----------------------$180

10: Robar beavertail fab---------------------$175

11: SJC glock C-More mount-------------------$105

12: C-More non-click-------------------------$209

the gun may not function with 125 pf minor loads but may function great with 145-164.99 pf minor loads.

the the Jager comp for the lone wolf barrel. it will probably give a better compensation effect than the LW product.

Harmon

I am no Open expert but to answer a few questions.

From what I hear the SJC comp is the best on the market and KKM barrels have a great rep too. A 14-15# spring is is good for this application.

I have heard that the carver mount can get loose but I have nothing to confirm this. Also with a frame mount you will probably need to have the slide to frame fit tightened. The glock fit is loose compared to custom 1911/2011 and with the dot being attached to the frame you can loose some accuracy. If you go with some type of Jpoint or docter mounted on the slide then you could skip the tighting. But them I have heard of some not holding up over time.

Major is fine just be safe and work up your loads slow. I hear HS-6 is working well. Minor will affect how the comp works but other than that I don't know much. I do know SJC has a diffarant comp for minor I think.

When it comes to trigger and magwells it is reall going to be a personal thing. I hear alot of great things about the Vanek stuff. Just search it out and read about it.

Dave

Thanks Dave...I never condidered the slide to frame issue.

Also I have this list I made to build my Open Glock. It's not perfect and most all is personal preferance but It's somthing to chew on.

Things to build an Open Glock (Major 9)

Thanks again Dave.

I'm chewing, going back to the drawing board.

Larry

the gun may not function with 125 pf minor loads but may function great with 145-164.99 pf minor loads.

the the Jager comp for the lone wolf barrel. it will probably give a better compensation effect than the LW product.

Harmon

Thanks Harmon...Any opinion on bullets when shooting with a comp., like wgt or shape. JHP's are popular! Does it matter?

Larry

Harmon

Thanks Harmon...Any opinion on bullets when shooting with a comp., like wgt or shape. JHP's are popular! Does it matter?

Larry

JHP's or TCJ (Total Copper Jacketed) so the comp doesn't get caked up with lead.

If you haven't already bought the scope mount you may want to consider going another way. The weaver mount and railway will put the scope up quite a bit higher than you need. If you use the slide ride version of the scope mount you can drop it down at least a 1/4 inch. Also, if you you go with the SJC mount you have a lot more flexibility with what holster you're gonna use.

Zero 125 JHP 4.8 VV 340 OAL 1.125 shoots sweet out of a KKM barrel with SJC comp on my G17. Around 140 PF for knock down steel. SJC scope mount, C-More w/6 moa dot is the way to go. If the slide to frame fit is decent you won't lose much in accuracy (JMO) I happen to have a Caspian slide so the fit is pretty good. Haven't loaded any major ammo yet because I have a .40 open top end for that (not that I shoot open but started shooting steel and the dot is fun). I prefer the light SJC magwell on an open gun. A spring change, at most, should allow you to shoot minor and major. People tend to spring a gun to light with major pf.

With the SJC scope mount you have to drill holes in the frame in case you didn't know. Also, watch the KKM barrel for a short chamber. I bought mine many moons ago so they may have fixed that.

the lone wolf comp really doesnt have any baffles to foul and seems to be self-cleaning. it appears to be good for shooting lower than major power factor ammo but tends to be harsh with major.

bite the bullet and shoot Jacketed in a normal compensator design..and buy the lone wolf comp to shoot low power cast bullet steel loads...

HS6 works well for major 9

4756 for minor in a comp gun.

Harmon

Larry

JHP's or TCJ (Total Copper Jacketed) so the comp doesn't get caked up with lead.

Ah! Thanks for this info.

Larry

the lone wolf comp really doesnt have any baffles to foul and seems to be self-cleaning. it appears to be good for shooting lower than major power factor ammo but tends to be harsh with major.

bite the bullet and shoot Jacketed in a normal compensator design..and buy the lone wolf comp to shoot low power cast bullet steel loads...

HS6 works well for major 9

4756 for minor in a comp gun.

Harmon...Thanks

This is a big deal for me. I took up action shooting at age 66 and I am on a limited income. Planning this out has been an enjoyable experience. The expierence and information shared by members of this Forum has been awesome.

Thanks to everyone for input.

Larry P