Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my PRO back from the shop already

Sarge

Quicker than S&W had led me to believe. Sent it in on the 9th of June and it came back today. Sent it in for FTE and a loose rear sight. They put on a new rear sight because the other one was dinged? Didn't need it but, +1. Gave me two extra set screws for the sight. Again, +1. Replaced the extractor and performed "barrel modification". I am guessing they polished the chamber? They tested it and it passed. I know because it is dirty. I wonder how good the test was since it sometimes took several rounds to FTE?

Anyone know the particulars of what their normal FTE repair procedures might be? And have they proven successful?

Thanks.

Most I here is an extractor replacement. I have an M&P 9L on the way there now with the same issue.

From what I here and not seen that fixes the issue most of the time.

Sounds like they did a great job for you.

Let us know how it falls out.

Edited by vetts1911

how hard is it to replace the extractor on an M&P?
I punched mine right out with a 1/8" punch and a decent hammer blow or two. I think it only goes out from the top down and intalling was the opposite. From what I hear if you are putting in an aftermarket extractor it may need some tuning/fitting. To me this translates to having a gunsmith do it. But all in all it is very easy to punch it out and pound it back in. Hope this helps

I will be shooting mine all this coming weekend. I will post a report.

It depends. Some folks over on the M&P forum were having a hard time getting the factory pin out. Most folks suggest using a very short starter punch to get it going...if it's too long it'll bend/snap from how hard you have to hit it. I can't recall what people were doing....maybe turning down a drill bit or something like that to get the small starter pin. Once you get it out the first time it shouldn't be a big problem to do it after that.

The standard work the factory has been doing, from what I've heard, was polishing the chamber and feedramp. Sometimes it seems they change/work on the extractor and other times they don't. I'm guessing they're using an extractor tension gauge and checking them...if they need it they replace them. R,

I punched mine right out with a 1/8" punch and a decent hammer blow or two. I think it only goes out from the top down and intalling was the opposite. From what I hear if you are putting in an aftermarket extractor it may need some tuning/fitting. To me this translates to having a gunsmith do it. But all in all it is very easy to punch it out and pound it back in. Hope this helps

I will be shooting mine all this coming weekend. I will post a report.

I put a Speed Shooters extractor on mine (thanks Kenny). The only fitting required was epoxy painting the piece to match the M&P. The replacement extractor, plus a little chamber polishing on my part was all that was needed to cure mine. It was $45 well spent.

Also SSS sells a stronger extractor spring for a few dollars. This may help also if you want to reuse the stock extractor.

Mine came back a couple days ago. I sent it in for light primer strikes and a couple extraction problems.

The note included says Smith installed a new barrel and re-sprung the gun.

A new barrel??? Maybe my old barrel had a bad chamber that was causing the trouble.

• 2 weeks later...