Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4.0gr titegroup, 9mm 124gr JHP MG

I did some research on here looking for a load using 124gr JHP Montana Gold bullets and Titegroup. 4.0gr seemed to be a popular load. So I loaded them up and Chrono'd them but got an average of 810 fps. Does that sound right? I'm shooting it through a 5" XD 9mm. This seems to be a popular load but it won't make minor? I had a buddy chrono them for me and he said it shot it from about 6 ft away. I've shot a level 1 match with it and I shot the Pro-Am with it and it took steel down just fine. Did I make a mistake somewhere or were all of the chrono measurements off some how? (shot 20 rounds, 4 fliers of about 1200 fps)

There's no way that's right. Go shoot them over a different chrono, on a different day.

+1

I wouldn't base anything on the Pro-Am steel, it is mostly forward fallers that will fall with 22's. I did that last year and got a whopping 114 PF at Area 3. Won't do that again...

You didn't include your OAL.

Out of a Glock 34 with factor barrel, I just made 139+ power factor at the Area 5 match with*:

- Zero JHP's that weigh in at 124.8g

- OAL of 1.137

- 4.26g of TiteGroup

(* the above is average or likely measurement representations after checking multiple rounds. )

When you chrono, you need to have the first screen at least 10ft away. If not, you can get bad reading as the gas and particles that blow out of the barrel can foul your results.

You didn't include your OAL.

Out of a Glock 34 with factor barrel, I just made 139+ power factor at the Area 5 match with*:

- Zero JHP's that weigh in at 124.8g

- OAL of 1.137

- 4.26g of TiteGroup

(* the above is average or likely measurement representations after checking multiple rounds. )

When you chrono, you need to have the first screen at least 10ft away. If not, you can get bad reading as the gas and particles that blow out of the barrel can foul your results.

That sounds right.

G34 with storm lake barrel:

125 zero JHP

1.13 OAL

4.0 grns. tite group

made 134 PF on my chrono.

i chrono'd my load of 4.1 TG, 121 gr mg, 1.115 oal in my 4.25 M&P and got a avg of 1074fps for a 130 power factor,,it is real accurate and a pleasure to shoot,,same load in my CZ SP01 and got 131.5 pf..You need to be 10ft away from the chrono as mentioned in prev post..

Last summer's load of choice:

4.0 TG

124 gr Montana Gold FMJ or Precision Delta FMJ

assorted range brass

WSP

1.105"

4" XD

132 PF consistently -- 40 degrees or 80 degrees outside.

Back off the chrono (like everybody else says). When I was working up loads for my .40 this winter, I was trying to chrono indoors using the IR unit. Getting velocities ~300 fps (well, heck, that ain't right!). Had to back off even >15'.

Make sure you have decent light when you chrono outside. I've noticed that mine is touchy if clouds pass over the sunscreens. Flat gray overcast is OK, up to a point, but moving shadows make the data unreliable.