Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nissan Xterra.... Any Good ?

Hi,

We need to get my wife a new vehicle and she brought up a Nissan Xterra. We drove one about a year ago and both loved it. Then I started talking to some people and I hade two people that new someone who had all kinds of problems. Never did meet anyone with one. They have some good and bad reveiws and I just want to hear from people that own one or are very close to someone with one. I would like to know millage, year, and model and any problems, beefs, greatness and such.

We need to get her a vehicle that will last.

thanks,

Dave

Hi,

We need to get my wife a new vehicle and she brought up a Nissan Xterra. We drove one about a year ago and both loved it. Then I started talking to some people and I hade two people that new someone who had all kinds of problems. Never did meet anyone with one. They have some good and bad reveiws and I just want to hear from people that own one or are very close to someone with one. I would like to know millage, year, and model and any problems, beefs, greatness and such.

We need to get her a vehicle that will last.

thanks,

Dave

Wife is happy with her '06. about 25k miles.

Known several people with them and all had good experiences.

Ours doesn't have a ton of milage, but so far I'd buy another.

I prefer to buy Ford, but their SUVs were all bling and fancy gadgets where the xterra seemed better built for less money.

It's quite fun to drive.

Pros:

- true 4x4. only computer involved is shifting the transfer case. no AWD nonsense.

- STRONG V6. More HP/tourque than the V8 in my F150, and lower in the rev range. Timing chain vs belt, too.

- so far no maint except oil changes (done by me). Smartly laid out, too (access hole in skid plate that has a funnel to drain oil from the filter).

- lot of car for the money. Think we paid $24k - $25k??

- cargo area is plastic vs carpet, so you can actually use it and not worry about stains.

- lots of storage compartments.

- good firm suspension w/ good ground clearance.

- best traction control I've seen. I couldn't get it to do a doughnut in 6" of snow until I turned off the TC.

- gas milage is ~15 city and 19 hwy. not bad for it's size/power.

- super tight turn radius

Cons:

- brakes are mushy. may just need bled.

- a little small. I'm not super tall (~5'10") but I have to lean the seat back a bit or my head rubs on the roof. But it's the wife's car and it fits her.

- getting in/out of the back is tight, but ok for kids or if you don't use it a ton.

- auto tranny shifter won't let you select gears, only set top gear used.

Edited by rvb

My NCO has one and drove it for a few years before giving it to her daughter. It's a nice ride and roomy. At 6'-3" and 225-ish (Army weight, not now) I had no problem getting in or out. Like most Nissan trucks they seem to be pretty indestructible in most uses. Depending on the intended use, give a hard look at some of the smaller Ford's (like the View I think?).

Rich

I had an '02 Xterra for almost two years. Probably put 20-24k miles on it with no problem. Drove it all night to Destin, FL once at 85+ mph the entire trip, no stops except for gas. It seemed to handle very well for an SUV that sits up so high. I really enjoyed that vehicle, and probably would have kept it much longer....but a pilled-out lady ran a stop sign at approx. 45-50 mph and T-Boned me, striking me on the front-right corner. I was traveling down a 5 lane highway at the time, prob. going 55-60 mph. To the Xterra's credit....after being struck that hard, it continued straight down the road in my original traffic lane. From the angle I was struck, I could have easily been pushed over in to the on-coming traffic lanes. The airbags deployed (my first and only experience with that !!) and I walked away without a scratch !!! No aches, no pains, (no seatbelt..shhh). It also came with a very well stocked 1st aid kit that I salvaged and still carry in my car today.....

xterra_accd_002.jpg

Edited by STInky

Hello: I drove one a while back and it was not that great. It had rattles and just did not feel firmly planted on the road. It was a new one :surprise: We bought a 4 door Jeep and are very pleased with it so far. My wife just loves it which is good :cheers: The fuel milage is not the best but I was getting 24 mpg driving to Albuquerque and back at 70-85 mph. They ride so much better than the old CJ's. I did have a Toyota Rav4 and really liked it. It was a 4 cyl with a standard gearbox. It had plenty of power and worked well with 2 kids(6 and 10). Traded it for the Jeep. You may also look at the Toyota Matrix and the Mazda 3. I just bought a VW Jetta TDI and love it. We just put a 100 miles on it today. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Well we look at a used one today and it had rattles, hood on driver side rattle and shaked when you went down the highway. I was not that impressed with how it drove. In the vehicles defence I don't think the guy took the best care of it but we decided to go another route.

So I got the car idea back in her head because of the fuel milage and cost. So we brought home a base model Honda Accord and she is very happy. She has never had a new vehicle.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Dave