Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights - Good Or Gimic?

D.Hayden

Anyone tried these these double ring sights?

http://www.jprifles.com/DoubleRingSights.shtml

My current plan is to replace the front site with a Dawson FO site, try that with the stock Kimber Adjustable, and if that needs help, replace the rear with a Bo-Mar. Just wondering if these ring sights are worth a look

Thanks, Dave

Depends on what you intend to do with your handgun. Strictly competition, defense, combo, ...

There are pros and cons to that style of sighting arrangement. Most people find it easier to use the more traditional notch and post configuration, but if you know someone who has the ghost ring set up, shoot it and see how you like it.

When you are tweaking your pistol to include those things you want/need, it is sometimes better to see if you can find someone with that particular item already installed and see if you can't use their gun to "test drive" that option B4 you buy. This is one of those items to try to test drive.

Hope this helps

TL is definitely on the right track with the “try before you buy” advice. I took a look at JP’s Ghost Rings and THOUGHT I wanted them very badly. Then I went to a practice where a shooter had them on his back up gun and I was told to go ahead and give them a workout. I did, 300 rounds… boy I’m sure glad I didn’t pony up the bucks for them… didn’t care for them AT ALL. So I put a EGW FO front sight on and ran with the Kimber adjustable rear… that setup is just fine. :)

Ed

Well I have an adjustable rear sight so the .200 (high) X .125 (wide) is what I’m running. As far as the red/green thing, there’s a thread around here somewhere that discusses the pros/cons of each. Me? My EGW came with both and after trying each one of them, for a couple of days in light conditions from bright full sun to almost dark, I chose the green. For me, the red was TOO bright sort of like looking at a red 100-watt light bulb. YMMV

Ed